Note to New Members ×

Old School coaches and racing techniques...

LeeW

yo guys/gals. i seem to have a nasty habit of sticking my knees together. i picked it up from YEARS ago from Board Around The World from the one and only, Craig Kelly. Im under the impression, seperation of the knees may help. Or is it really matter of perference? I think seperation will give me better lateral control of the board.

On another hand, Ive been practing "look" (as in chin up and look ahead), "stablize" (as in medium knee tuck to absorb), and "forward" (as in more gyro effects from the front. Its been a frustrating day for me when I was training. I have difficulty negotiating the ruts from other skiiers as well as my shin bangs. Shin Bangs, I decided to experiment with a bit more snug buckle adjustment, which I am going to disregard it tmw and leave the upper cuff a bit less than snug. Im awfully sore. So, you got any comments ?

I think seperation will give me better lateral control of the board.?
I'm no expert, but I think it helps to move the knees (and with them the tib/fibs) independently to control the board.

Fore/Aft leveraging: The tib/fibs work as small levers to help distribute pressure along the length of the board tip to tail--and by moving them independently you can better work the board along its length. For example, moving the front knee towards the tip can shoot a bit more pressure there (leveraging with the tib/fib). Vice versa with the rear.

Edging: Similarly, you also can independently move the knees laterally to tilt the board on edge. Driving the front knee out over the toe edge will help engage the edge towards the tip. Moving the rear knee out over the toe edge will help engage the toe edge towards the tail of the board.

Pressure Control: You need to be able to flex the knees/legs independently to manage forces against the board (such as sequential front rear flexing extending to absorb bumps, ruts, and berms).

IMO it helps by giving you two separate 'handles' by which to control the board.

...and "forward" (as in more gyro effects from the front).
What are these gyro effects?

good jack M. Article somewhere in the articles section that explains why locked together knees is not so good.

For me, I still kept the inward canting, but have a much wider stance; makes for a bigger sweet spot to stay centred and work from :-) I also feel more stable in choppy conditions without ending up falling backwards or forward; as I only ride a little bit per season, getting the groove fast is important.

Knees seperated is better than locked.

Keep in mind that there is a differance between "driving forward" in a turn and only using your front foot to make the turn.

Driving forward is good, only using your front foot is bad.

Any more info and I'll have to start charging :) . Just kidding

Widen your stance a little, locked knees can lead to a bad day when you cannot absorb vertical schock or have enough room for travel.Another trick i learned along time ago was to put a lunch try in your hands and pretend that it has a bowl of soup on it and you cannot spill it.The effect that is that as it cause you to rotate your hips and drive thru the turn and and will keep your schoulders square to the fall line of the hill and complete your turns all the through not like east coast turns.If try this until you get it down you`ll have better edge control and look further down the hill and go faster.It is not as easy as it sounds but once you get it,good times ahead.

in the rear binding, i have 3 degree cant forward. the front, i got zero degree. i wonder if i should ditch it out and get the zero degree cant or get another 3 degree and put it in the front to make me go "forward" as well as seperation of my knees ?

I hate the complicate this thread, but it's hard to address one perceived issue w/o understanding the effect on everything else. What's the problem you're having which made you brought up your knees? Balance? Edging? Pressure?

Knee alignment/placement is personal and based upon many factors.

Take Phil up on his offer and work from the board upward to make changes......

I find that 9 times out of 10 that riding flaws, like riding with your knees locked, too much weight on the front foot, etc. are technique flaws and not stance issues.

It sounds like your stance is in-line with the norm, I probably wouldn't change it.

The term rudder makes me a tad concerned though. You should be bending the board in order to steer it, and if you do need to slide it from time to time you should be using both feet to control the slide, not just the rear one.

OK, Ill try to see how I can paralay my riding style. knee locked -- just a habit i had from imitating craig kelly in 1990. i used to have those nice cant blocks with my softboot three straps bindings. So Ive always liked it. Tried the 0 degree stance baseless in mid 90s. Not too bad, but hard on my knee when Im skating. changed it to 15 degrees front, 10 degrees back in later 90s, and liked it a bit more, and soemtimes would ride with knee lock. in 2000, i started doing duck feet, which im much more happier. then i switched to hard boots couple of years ago, went 55 degrees front, 50 degrees back with 3 degree cant in rear. not too bad, but im still trying to get it dialed in. only thing im concerned is that i dont want to fiddle with my stance too much, just to find the "right spot" cuz of past experience of long hours to find the sweet spot.

as for riding/carving/racing, i try to keep my chin up to see far ahead of where im heading to, stable knee bent (not too low, or not too high), and hands out in forward as if Im a driver. when im carving, i really like to dial in and let the line just go thru, without any skittering, which happens with no problem on nice groom runs or smooth terrain. on ruts... that's when im really @#*(ed. i simply can't get it all dialed in.

sounds like im gonna have to work on this a lot more with my coach and maybe get it video taped for easier references. but im afraid youre gonna start charging me bucks. :)

hey dude, ah, i was gonna show up on sunday but i was out in grand junction dealing with my "moving" to vail. was gonna go on friday, too, but my shin was awfully sore from shin banging (need to sort out my eliminator and loosen up my boot cuffs). Saturday, I wasn't going to show up cuz I had to be at Grand Junction. Im hoping to be there this weekend from Thursday to Sunday. Thursday's a bit iffy -- Ill be awake from all night of snowmaking, so I dont know if Ill go or not. Its afternoon session on Thursdays. PM me, and we can figure out how to stay in touch via cell. :)

oh i forgot to add anothe rcomment. yesterday, i sorta finally figured it out. its all natural. had i been squatted low, my legs would naturally be apart. if its in medium squat, it'd be somewhat "apart" and if i stood too high, it'd be together. Sorta neat thing I learned yesterday. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The term rudder makes me a tad concerned though. You should be bending the board in order to steer it, and if you do need to slide it from time to time you should be using both feet to control the slide, not just the rear one.

You know, youre absolutely correct. yesterday we had video review. ugh. i wish I didnt use the gyroscope ive been so accustomed to think of for so long. cuz i could see how it could compromise my toe steering durin' gate bashing. gyroscoping kinda counter-turn where i wanted to go. sheesh. but thanks for your feedback, nevertheless. been working on heelside for so long that i forgot about my toeside. looks like ill have to do the drill all over again for my toe side (let it slice thru the snow or steer with the front foot at least).

Not to bash you or anything, but it would be useful had you use the search function. on several occassion, youve asked questions when the answer's readily available via the search function of this forum.

but for your sake (or lack of assertive to find the information?), its team copper.

once again, i remind you i have no intention to be bashing you or whatsoever. just would be easier on yourself as well as all of us if you have done the search first and if no luck, ask.

EDIT: by the way here's two links:

www.copperseries.com

www.coppercolorado.com/todo/racing/masters/alpine_snowboard_training.htm

Not to bash you or anything, but it would be useful had you use the search function. on several occassion, youve asked questions when the answer's readily available via the search function of this forum.

but for your sake (or lack of assertive to find the information?), its team copper.

once again, i remind you i have no intention to be bashing you or whatsoever. just would be easier on yourself as well as all of us if you have done the search first and if no luck, ask.

EDIT: by the way here's two links:

www.copperseries.com

www.coppercolorado.com/todo/racing/masters/alpine_snowboard_training.htm

yes thats what I was looking for