Note to New Members ×

Anyone ridden a Lib Magne Traction?

carvin29

I demoed one for about 5 - 6 laps last season during demo tent days, I think I might have even posted something about it.

From the hazy depths of my memory I asked the kid in tent for the biggest stiffest magnetrac deck they had, he gave me a little 160 ish thing that was a noodle, Race plates on and we are off.

BTW the kids explanation of how it works was way off in my opinion.

Screwing around doing a few skidded turns could not feel any difference to a normal deck.

Had to go looking for hardpack on the day that I demoed but the concept worked, rolling up on edge definitly gave some serious "bite" into the snow and it carved admirably providing you just rode the sidecut,

of course driving in hard would fold the nose instantly. The lumps along the edge seem to work like a serrated bread knife to get the edge dug in and cutting.

Potential drawbacks likely would be tuning the edges, and damage to the edge with the waves hanging out they seem possibly more succeptible to getting banged up.

Would love to see libtech make a very stiff BX deck about 170 with 24.5 waist and magnetrac, or even a full blown alpine/race deck with the magnetrac ( like that would ever happen from a jibber company),

Dave*

I like the sub-title on LibTech's Magne-Traction page:

"The biggest revolution in snowboard design history !"

Yeah, much more revolutionary than the invention of the sidecut. :eplus2:

I guess the sub-title of their Tech page is accurate:

"Innovations even we don't understand"

'later...

I can't say anything about the Lib-tech...but I love my T-6 from last year!

It's got a lot of pop and really throws down some carves nicely. I have the 164W (wide) and while it's not exactly flickable because of the width I can screw around with mellow stance angles (mondo 28.5) and it carries my frame (6ft and change and ~220 lbs) very well. Weight is brought down by the honeycomb core and it's got a good all mountain shape. I consider it my go anywhere board...and it's gone everywhere, hence the 5-6 core shots in the bottom. heh heh heh...but I'm not nice to my snowboards.

I am leaning towards the T6. I am afraid the Magnetraction is too loose torsionally. I've heard the T6 is just incredible for high speed carving.

Not true. It depends on which model (with magne traction) you're talking about. The Magne Traction series are much more stiffer than the, say, TRS Magne Traction or Gnu Christy Barrett Magne Traction.

Its relevant. This was the case for me back in '04 season. The '06-'07 Travis Rice was real niiiiice flexy magne traction. TRS traction, I have to try it again -- a friend has it. Ill verify it with him, again. The regular Magne Traction board I had was not my type -- too stiff. Already got a madd 158 and i rather to keep stiff exclusively to hardboots race boards.

I can't say anything about the Lib-tech...but I love my T-6 from last year!

It's got a lot of pop and really throws down some carves nicely. I have the 164W (wide) and while it's not exactly flickable because of the width I can screw around with mellow stance angles (mondo 28.5) and it carries my frame (6ft and change and ~220 lbs) very well. Weight is brought down by the honeycomb core and it's got a good all mountain shape. I consider it my go anywhere board...and it's gone everywhere, hence the 5-6 core shots in the bottom. heh heh heh...but I'm not nice to my snowboards.

The engineering on the T6 looks amazing. Are you riding the T6 with hardboots or softies?