Note to New Members ×

One for the Coiler Riders

No.2

Hi groovastic. Have you got your Impact yet? I noticed you said that the Pogo didn't hang on quite as well as your RC, is that true. Also I hear the Alp Pogos have a very short nose. I find boards with short noses tend to fire snow (if it is at all soft) at my hands or face if I'm low enough. Maybe I'm just not going fast enough.

Pogo is an interesting option. One of the guys from down at our hill bought a 210 tyring to break the world speed record. www.speedboarding.co.nz but they put the edges in slightly crooked which made things rather interesting at speed.

Where do I find specs on these boards?

Have you riden a Kessler or Holzinger? The only guys I've seen rideing a Kessler are the Hardbooter.com guys.

If you're looking for snappy boards, check out Prior's WCR line. I've ridden Madds, Coilers and Doneks, but IMO none compare. My first ride on one, I got thrown a few times before I learned to harness the thing. They're slightly softer in the nose, but the tail is incredibly snappy. And because of the slightly softer nose, there's no need to over-exagerate the weighting of the nose like you would with Madds; you just set and hold on. They have a slight taper to the boards as well, which I find to be of use, especially in tight situations. It releases cleanly from turns, and when emergencies arise you can bail out of a turn quite easily. Plus, their new metal boards are absolutely sick. Snappy to the max, yet damp. Plus, the edgehold they have is incredible, perfect for your conditions.

Just my $.02

Hey Jim. I hadn't really thought much about Priors. I see the WCR have the least tapper of all their alpine orintated boards (2mm) and the metals have the most (5mm). Have you riden the metal boards much? Do they carve telepathically like the Coilers. I notice they both have 195 waists, are the metals more aimed at a PGS style turn?

I demoed the metals at SES last February. I ride Priors normally, and it was my first time on a metal. Perhaps I hogged it my frist day, as is prone to happen with awesome boards, but I got a good feel for it. I rode it on hardpack (what little there was) and in some chopped stuff, and it rode flawlessly through both. Frankly, the metals were so snappy, I really had to be careful my first run: I didn't expect there to be as much of a difference as there was. I took it into some trees as well and it responded to my every imput.

As to what style turns they're designed for, it depends on what length you get. My personal favorite was the 183, pretty similar to the 181 regular WCR, with a bit more tail as the added 2 cm. The metal was so much lighter than my stock board, it was significantly noticable. The metal is used to dampen things a bit: designed more for racers than anything. But I found the boards to be a blast no matter what I was doing.

Hi groovastic. Have you got your Impact yet? I noticed you said that the Pogo didn't hang on quite as well as your RC, is that true. Also I hear the Alp Pogos have a very short nose. I find boards with short noses tend to fire snow (if it is at all soft) at my hands or face if I'm low enough. Maybe I'm just not going fast enough.

Pogo is an interesting option. One of the guys from down at our hill bought a 210 tyring to break the world speed record. www.speedboarding.co.nz but they put the edges in slightly crooked which made things rather interesting at speed.

Where do I find specs on these boards?

Have you riden a Kessler or Holzinger? The only guys I've seen rideing a Kessler are the Hardbooter.com guys.

I haven't got the Impact yet, but I'm thinking of a custom Pogo. If I'll have enough money :mad:

Impact realy has a very short nose, but I had no problems with it. Maybe because of the perfect snow.

And now I'm crazy about boards with short noses because they are lighter and easier to maneuvre, and yet remain a long eff. edge. And this one has no tail at all... I love it!

Look at the specs here http://www.pogo.biz/shop/product_category_displayE.php?cPath=24_42&language=en

I've never riden Kessler or Holzinger.

I'm also interested in Holzinger (Tropical Tube)! Are they dump like Coiler or more lively, like Pogo?

I tried Virus and loved it, but I think Pogos are much cheaper and about the same quality. that's why I choose Pogo.

• 1 year later...

Hey No.2!

I just got my Xtasy Element today! :1luvu:

http://www.xtasy-snowboards.de/seiten/start.htm

You can often find some very cheap on ebay.de

It seems very nice! I even think they might be produced on the same machines as Pogo, so they should be quite high quality!

I'll post a report on how it rides after this weekend... and it will be my first board with no taper to ride so we'll see....

So what board did you decide to get?

Tried a Holzinger yet?

Cheers!

I can't belive no one here has riden an FC.. :(

I own an 84FC (w/WCC), but it is the 19.5 waist version. I also own an 83-T w/20 waist based on the 81PR (sort of). Finally, I have an older 77AM w/21.5 waist.

Despite the similar specs between my 84FC and 83T, the two are really incommensurable due to the metal – and this thread is not about that, so I will leave it alone. Although to address your original question on taper; the difference between FC vs. RC vs. PR (all other specs being equal), is really subtle.

The FC requires fractionally more awareness at the end of the turn to physically un-weight and change edges, but the upshot is a fractionally more ‘locked-in’ feel in most situations. Love it or hate it, this difference is user preference again, but a whole lot less significant than if you prefer say damp or snappy.

To reiterate a point that has been raised already, if you are thinking of going the Coiler route, get in touch with Bruce before you get your heart set on anything. He is going through a renaissance of R&D right now that is producing several new shapes and design improvements that will likely mature over the next few months.

I rode a 175 RCII with 10.5 or 11m sidecut until last year. I now ride a 175 FC with 9.5m sidecut. I ordered the extra turny board for the narrow, crowded Eastern slopes that I tend to ride. Even with 9.5 sidecut, the FC is a very versatile board. I can turn it hard and it just bites into the ice and hardpack. Or, I can just let it rip and it is smooth and stable. Two weeks ago, we had a big dump of powder (18 inches) and the FC rode like a champ.

I even raced on it today in the Ontario Masters Championship. Alright, I may have finished either last or second last in my age group but I can't blame the equipment.