Note to New Members ×

wtb: two extremely old/beat up snowboards (thats right!!!)

Guest timoski

Guest timoski

would anyone be willing to part from a skiiny (<17cm waist), long (>175cm) board to help a fellow snowsports addict out? (a skiiny board would be SWEEEEEEEET)

I guess we differ in the form of our passion in that i am hopelessly, utterly addicted to ripping the "powdity-pow", morso than laying railroad tracks all day, but hey its all the same right?

anyways i was hoping you guys could help me out/hook me up. i've dreamed of owning a pair of super-fat skis (110+) ever since i learned they existed and that icy bumps and groomers were not the satus quo (i grew up on the EC can you tell???). however they are EX-PEN-SIIIIVE and i am a poor college boy, with little to no funds.

dingdingding. two older snoboards!!!! specifically those that resemble skis the most...race/carve/alpine boards....mount two skiinny loooooong snowboards and you'll be allllllll set. heard mixed things about the feasibility of this, but you only live once, if i can pull this off it will be epic, and i'm desperate.

when i say cheap i mean cheap. like only a little more than $50 per board, maybe lil more than $60, but seriously....i gots no dough...plus shippings going to be a bitch (hopefully :rolleyes:). these should be boards that are hiding in the back of your garage, that you forgot even existed, your rock boards, or old-drilled-several-times-quiver-overlap boards you have no use for.

any takers?

timmy the skier

EDIT-could you guys help me out by putting down the dimensions (most importatnly hte waist) of the boards you're offering? that would help me out alot seeing as i'm a total board jong.

-----------

edit #2-beat up skwals *cough* seem like perfect solution to my problem (anyone????????)...but hese seem rather rare and revered around here, so seems doubtful...

dingdingding. two older snoboards!!!! specifically those that resemble skis the most...race/carve/alpine boards....mount two skiinny loooooong snowboards and you'll be allllllll set. heard mixed things about the feasibility of this, but you only live once, if i can pull this off it will be epic, and i'm desperate. timmy the skier

Hmmm...Oh, you mean like this doofus here... :smashfrea

post-44-141842220588_thumb.jpg

Ya know, I could be jupping to conclusions here...he may be just trying to pull off a "turtle" :biggthump

For wide skis, I'd say stick with the wide SKIS...But then again, maybe a couple of Skwals....who knows :cool:

Good luck!

Oh, and make sure you take some photos - seems like Bomber is always looking for material for the photo contests :biggthump

Guest timoski

thanks fro the resposnes gusys.

@thor-i am really hoping to get lucky and score soemthign a little skinnier, but we'll see i guess...thanks.

yea this is basically a skatterbrained atttempt to score fat skis....thanks to these french guys that are trying to sell a pair of monoski's as supersuperfat skis.

trying to be less like the gaper doofus, more like this doofus....

IMG_4364.jpg

It sounds like a couple of viruses would be right up your alley. Oh, wait I think your budget is about $2900 short for that. In all seriousness, look for some old volkl or atomic heli skis. Trust me you don't want a couple of 170+cm raceboards beneath your feet. They would be so heavy with the adaptor plate that you would need to put on it to mount the ski bindings, you'd be wasting your time. Plus, if you want to rip in powder, a 16 metre radius is stupidly tight. 26 to 30 metre is more like it.

later,

good luck

Dave R.

Guest timoski

thor-thanks dude, can i put it ont he back curner...want to see what comes up.

the skinnier the better.

robo-are you saying i'll need the binding plate for torque/power and edge control? the conditions i ouwld use them in wouldn't need it....or are you sayign the plate would be stuck on there?

i feel as though i potentially be smearign some of my turns, so don't knwo how badly the sidecut will be. also i plan on (if i get them and they succceed) bringing them back to the east coast to rip up EC trees...whcih woudl be ideal with the float and sidecut for powdery days.

also note i have 90mm all mountain/pow skis already. this is mroe of an experiment than anyhting else. i am willign gamble and accept defeat because victory could be so sweet. previous attempts at this have used traditional snowboards 200mm+waists...however with skis getting fatter and fatter (fatypus alotta-140mm waist, line prophet-130mm waist) and alpine boards being skiiner than the average board, i think the potential to make skis exist, as doug demostrates. this could be fun.

-any idea if any EC mountains rent or demo alpine/race/carve boards??? i feel like this could be a good resource. keep em coming

robo-are you saying i'll need the binding plate for torque/power and edge control? the conditions i ouwld use them in wouldn't need it....or are you sayign the plate would be stuck on there?

no, I'm saying that since there is most likely already two eight packs of inserts on the board, it would be wise to exploit this and fabricate a piece (plate) of aluminum with holes that line up with some of the insert holes and then mount your ski bindings to this aluminum plate. The ski brakes would be another can of worms as well. I guess that you could just run some long ribbons like they do in heli skiing.

later,

Dave R.

This has been done numerous times. Typically you end up with a alpine snowboards set of skis that don't do anything well. The alpine snowboards are not designed for powder. Low nose, heavy and stiff. Putting one on each foot gives you tons of surface area that is for sure. Line for example has used freestyle snowboards for their testing and prototyping on Mt Hood for several years. On anything but deep pow they really suck. The edges are so far from the center of your weight, it is like riding a snowboard that is way to wide for your foot size/angles. Cumbersome to say the least.

Doesn't hurt to try. Go for it. Just don't think you are the first to try it and walk away thinking "Why did I bother?".

you need two skwals. get on ebay.de or elsewhere in europe and look for old thias skwals that are readily available and pre insert. they have that hard stuff in the core to hold the binding screws well. they are narrow enough at the waist to suit your purpose. the easy jungle is really fat at the tips and still narrow enough for edge control. lots of options in the skwalzone.org if you read french or swedish.

• 2 weeks later...