Note to New Members ×

USASA / Racing in MN?

Guest bboyd

Any MN locals on this board? Does anyone have experience/info re alpine racing in the Minnesota area? I checked the USASA website, and saw they have races at Afton and other area spots, but wanted to know if anyone has tried these, what's involved, etc. I'm new to snowboarding w/in last 3 yrs, but would like to work toward getting involved in some low-key local races for experience and something to keep the skills developing. Anyone with info? Thanks!

i'm sure kent will eventually reply, as he's the one setting the courses at the races.

you should come out to afton this weekend! the races are a good time. we do 2 runs of gs, and 2 runs of slalom. all ages are welcome. and if you're fast, you have a good chance of making money. $50 typically to the fastest man and woman in each event, down to $10 for 5th fastest.

if you want more info, like time and cost, call 'the alt' bike and board shop in mpls. they're the fine folks who put on the events.

hope to see you at afton on saturday.

-trent

Trent - thanks for the follow-up. Although I'm moving toward alpine, I currently only have a freeride set-up, and have NO experience in racing, but think I would like to try it. Since I have yet to acquire a helmet and am waiting on my Donek Incline (I just ordered it), I think I'll have to sit this one out - but I do plan on coming to Afton to watch, and to ride on Saturday. Have you raced? What type of equip are the average racers using? Any freeriders / softbooters? Can a person learn to race in the race, or do I need to find a way to get some trial runs outside of race time? If so, any idea how to do that around the area? Clubs, etc? Thanks again. Maybe I'll see you Saturday.

Q - I currently only have a freeride set-up

A - No problem...as long as both feet are on the same board.

Q - NO experience in racing

A - Gotta start somewhere!

Q - I have yet to acquire a helmet

A - No problem, we have plenty. If you're lucky, you can borrow my Hansonstyle helmet!

Q - Donek Incline (I just ordered it)

A - I guess you'll be waiting awhile!

Q - I do plan on coming to Afton to watch, and to ride on Saturday.

A - Make sure you say Hi. I'm setting the course and most us "older" guys are pretty friendly.

Q - Have you raced?

A - Trent's a veteran!

Q - What type of equip are the average racers using?

A - "Average" is about 14 years old and using softies......

Q - Can a person learn to race in the race, or do I need to find a way to get some trial runs outside of race time?

A - Whichever. The best is usually meeting with my team during the week or one of the TBD Buck Hill races. Details soon. But, if the $$ doesn't bother you, then racing your 1st in USASA is fine, I'll direct ya down the right way.

In a nutshell, go to Buck Hill on a weekend morning and meet up with "the gang".......

Welcome!

kent

www.thegteam.net

bboyd -

yeah, come out to afton and see what it's all about. it's pretty low key. we're all there to have a good time. and like kent said, you've got to start somewhere. and by 'veteran', kent means i've showed up at races.... knowing what i'm doing is a different story :=)

buck has a regular group of carvers. sunday morning from 9 - 11 is your best bet of seeing other people in hardboots. there's usually between 3 to 10 of us out. stop by and introduce yourself!

-trent

Trent & Kent -

thank you both for your valuable feedback. I will definitely try to find you guys at the race - I will probably be at Afton most of the day, and will be the guy trying to carve on an orange Lamar freeride board (can't wait for the Donek - I ordered it from someone selling used, so it should be here very soon!).

I think I've seen a group of you carvers at Buck last year, I had a season pass there before I tore my pec and sat part of the year out. Since I hadn't seen alpine board before, I asked some questions and whoever I talked to was very friendly. It would be fun to ride with your group sometime!

I would be interested in finding out more about future races, and the g-team also. Since I am still recovering this season from the pec tear and related surgery, I will probably wait until next year to begin races, but I definitely want to get up to speed (bad pun) on how to get involved. Thanks again for your time and input- I'll hope to talk to you more on the hill.

Originally posted by bboyd

I think I've seen a group of you carvers at Buck last year, I had a season pass there before I tore my pec and sat part of the year out. Since I hadn't seen alpine board before, I asked some questions and whoever I talked to was very friendly. It would be fun to ride with your group sometime!

By all means, come out to Buck on a Sunday morning. You are right, we are a friendly bunch, and only laugh at each other when they can't see us! :D

We have all sorts of skill levels out there. I for one pretty much suck, so don't feel like you have to be "good" to come out and have fun. We are all learning every time out.

-Dean

Wow- that's a lot of "alpine" carvers in a state with no mountains! Good work fellas! I will hope to chat with any of you at the race Saturday, and will probably run into more of you at Buck throughout the season - Sunday mornings are difficult for me, but Sunday afternoons or Saturdays are definitely a time the snow beckons me! Happy riding! Thanks for all the info and feedback! Great to see a strong community of riders in MN on this forum!