Note to New Members ×

Snowshoe Trip. Where to (cheaply) lodge? Full-size Van Accessible?

DrCR

Hey. Planning on a Snowshoe trip Jan2-6 or, as a backup to schedule conflicts, the week before Christmas. 5day trip, 3days on the mountain.

Originally going to Winterplace. Got everything reserved and speced out, calcuated fuel cost etc. (only $150 1/4th share for lodge and fuel, $250 including 3day lifts) when a friend of mine says, "Why not Snowshoe?". :smashfrea :D

I have reservations at Fairfield Inn of Beckley for $330 for 5nights. Not bad. Can I get an equivalent at Snowshoe though? I have mold/dust/pet/smoke/etc. allergies so unfortuantly I can't just stay anywhere and for ~70/nightlyavg Fairfield of Beckley fit the bill nicely...if we were going there.

Four of us total. My parents good old 95 Econoline will offer us plenty of room for us and our gear (and my dad wants it worn out so he can justify something new :eplus2: ), but it also has me worried about not being able to make it through some mountain village in the winter, whereas Winterplace is just off the highway.

Any insight?

Thanks,

DrCR

I go to snowshoe every other weekend when weather permits

remind me & I will see you there !

Very few carvers show up on the mtn. it would be nice to ride with a few !

Also There is Reasonable lodging in Marlington 20 miles away ! I have stayed there in the past/ its fine !

((((G))))

I've never stayed overnight at Snowshoe during the winter so I'm not much help here. However, if you post this question up at www.dcski.com I'd bet you will get lots of good info.

Also, I'd pick Snowshoe over Winterplace. Especially if Silver Creek has terrain open. Winterplace is a short hill that can be very crowded. Its right off the interstate so access is super easy and it shows. Lots of bus loads of less than skilled sliders. You'll probably pay more at Snowshoe but they will have more terrain and more to do.

Winterplace is fine for a day but I'd go nuts there for 3 days.

________

Laguna Bay II Condominium Pattaya

Marlington. Thanks, I'll look into it. :) Might not be able to meet up with you though as it's a weekday trip, but as a word of warning in case we do meet up -- I stink. :barf: :D

Winterplace is fine for a day but I'd go nuts there for 3 days.

Yeah, I think that's what my friend was thinking, and I can certainly agree.

Silver Creek may not be open early Jan? Would be a serious bummer if not. No blowers there?

Its the Marlington motor Inn I think its around 20 miles to snowshoe you cross one mtn. & its not bad !

Pretty nice rooms/ Country cooking/ store/gas etc.

Silver Creek has R.V. hookups

Silver creek has great Groom I ride a Alpine board there in the morning/ then when all the party aminals get out of bed & it gets busy/ I switch to a all mtn. board & go over to snowshoe in the afternoon !

The western territory is great sometimes if you hit it early/ turns to bumps fast Nice high-speed quad/ never a line !!!!!

carve it up ((((G))))

Marlington motor Inn is pet friendly, which means DrCR unfriendly do to allergies. :(

Saw these guys: www.mtairybnb.com , but I don't know. A little to foofy and waterbeds offer no support.

I'm going to get in contact with Snowshoe tomorrow and see what the cheapest hotels/rates are that have shuttling service. Found only one lodge, "Snowshoe Mountain Resort" on a googled hotel search engine (onetravelsource.com), ~$105/night to ~$150 on the 6th (Saturday). $100/night is dooable, esp. if basically on the mountain, but I may on Friday night drive to Beckley's Fairfield Inn for $85 for the night or perhaps to Lewisburg's Hampton Inn for a touch more, but an hour eariler arrival after a tiring week of boarding. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mselden

I just stumbled on your thread through a Google search for any news on trail expansion at Snowshoe. Go figure.

Anyway, I was just curious what you found when you contacted Snowshoe. I did a quick search on www.snowshoemtn.com and it looks like the cheapest option through the resort is $476 for 4 nights at the Inn At snowshoe. Keep in mind that the Inn is at the bottom of the hill, and on the opposite side. You need to drive 6 miles to the lifts.

If I were you, I would go with a junior studio in Expedition Station for $555. For just a few more bucks you are slopeside in a brand new property, not to mention right in the middle of the action.

Of course you could spend a little more ($665) and rent my place. :) I have a junior studio in the Rimfire Lodge, which is also in the village. We have underground parking, hot tub, sauna, exercise room, and access to Starbucks without having to go outside. Be sure to request #420! ;)

Package any of these with lift tickets to save some money on the total package. Sure, it will cost a little more, but it is worth it. Snowshoe is the only place I have ever gone in the East for a reason. Until I found Snowshoe I only hit the slopes in Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming. But, since I can't get out west every year, Snowshoe will have to do.

The cheapest route was naturally a weekday package, so we went with a January 1 Monday arrival - January 5 Friday departure and beding down in Lewisburg or Beckley Friday evening before heading home.

For the four of us for the 4 days on the mountain (4 1/2 if you count the free arrival lift tickets) came to ~$1210 and including everything but food costs came out at ~$370 per person. I believe the lady said we would be in Mountain Crest or something like that. 500 yards from the nearest slope, apparently Powerridge. What do you know about it? Old and decrepit and ready to collapse? :D Eyeing Fox Chase and Flying Eagle runs; too bad we'll be at the top of Snowshoe rather than Silver. How often are the shuttles run (or aren't there any?).

$370/person for a 4.5days on the mountain, 6day trip, isn't that bad at all....but if we could have gotten a better deal with your unit I sorry we couldn't have worked out. :) The ~$1210 includes lift tickets for the four of us for the stay. $1210 - 4($129) = $694, but I believe that $129 figure may have been for only three consecutive nights not the four required.

My eastcoast experience had been limited to NC and Winterplace WV, this being my first time to Snowshoe. Have a relative in Vermont inviting me up this winter though, so perhaps I'll be able to sample some Stowe/Smuggs action this year. Have a Mt. Bachelor trip in the works for next year. After sampling Mt.Hood last year, boarding icecoast and PNW just seems like two totally different sports.

Welcome to BomberOnline :biggthump

Are you a softbooter, hardbooter, or a skier? Wondering which runs would be best to try ECing on and would like to know from which angle your perspective would be comming from. :)

Best Regards,

DrCR

Guest mselden

Good call going during the week. That will make it easier to do ECing since there will be a lot less people in the way. Mountain Crest is older than the properties I mentioned, but probably a little bigger. Since all of the condos are individually owned, I am sure there are nice units in Mountain crest, and some that are showing their age. But, the resort has minimum standards for units to be on the rental program, so nothing is a hole.

Shuttles run frequently enough. Maybe every 10-15 minutes?

I am primarily a skier, but I can hold my own on a board. The runs you mention should work for you. I really like Flying Eagle, even though the run is relatively short and the lift is slow. During the week, you might find some good runs at Snowshoe as well. From your condo, work your way south. Try Log Slide to warm up, then take Cut Off to the Grabhammer lift. From there work your way over to Ballhooter and Grab Hook. Widowmaker might work as well. Over at Western Territory you might like Upper Shays Revenge, but cut over to Cupp Run before you get to the bumps.

Have fun! :D

Snowshoe's usually too narrow for me to have any fun on my raceboard, I'm looking into something a little less ballistic for tighter trails. I'm new to this forum but I've been riding plates for around 10 years, most commonly up at Silver Creek.

You may want to googlesearch ReMax realty, I believe they have an office across the street from The Inn at Snowshoe, and if I remember correctly their rental prices are a little bit cheaper than those available directly through Snowshoe. They manage a number of rental properties at both Snowshoe and Silver Creek.

• 1 month later...

I was there last Saturday. It was a mix of bulletproof with piles of sugar. The crowds didn't seem too bad but I didn't have to wait in the lift lines. I was there for a ski patrol clinic and we were mostly in the Spruce Glades park, Grabhammer and Skip Jack. I really don't like riding there. You have to keep your head on a swivel to watch for all the cross traffic and the trails are kind of narrow. I was back at Timberline on Sunday and the conditions were much softer. I suspect Snowshoe had softened up too because everyone said the snow was very firm at T'line on Satuday just like the Shoe. Be careful and have a good time.

Btw, I was on my Donek Axis 177 and rarely felt comfortable with letting it run. They do have some terrain open at Silvercreek that might be worth checking out if its crowded at the Shoe.

________

Child paxil

Dah! I was there this past weekend, didn't see any platers. A 177 Axis might be my next board too, so I really would've liked to see one in action.

I rode at Silver Creek all weekend. IMO it's leaps and bounds better than Snowshoe for carving. The slopes are much wider, it's usually less crowded, and there's nowhere near as much lengthy off-cambers to confine you to riding a big board on one edge to avoid launching off into the trees. The snow was a little hard saturday morning but my Burner was pretty happy on it around lunch time. It likes it hard, what can I say...

No lift lines, very little traffic to deal with. There wasn't much terrain open, but what they had was well-covered. Shoe looked much more crowded, I had plenty of space to let the board run. Sunday it was a little messy with the soft top stuff on top of what felt like rock.

DrCR, if you're going up for New Years you should try to bump into my brother Jeff. I'm not sure if I'll be up there, but he'll most likely be at Silver Creek on a 168 Hot Blast. (the older solid white one) He is a pretty solid rider.

I really like my Donek. Its a lot of fun and very versatile. I patrol on mine so it gets used in just about every condition. You are welcome to try it out if you ever are up at Timberline. I'm there just about every weekend.

I was hoping to get over to SilverCreek but the guys running the Toboggan Clinic decided to stay at the Shoe. I think the amount of cross traffic is what had me spooked the most. At Timberline, where I ride most, you don't have that much traffic coming from every direction because most intersecting trails are at right angles and the traffic is moving slowly across them. I think Silver Creek is kind of the same. The trails run longer distances and have fewer intersections.

Hard snow isn't usually a big deal. My edges need a bit of attention though.

Thanks for the info!

The forecast is starting to look a little better. Hopefully more trails and lifts (current: 30/57, 9/14 respectively) will be opened up in a few weeks. Glad to hear what is open is pretty solid.

WRX, I'll be on the moutain Jan1 evening - Jan5. Will keep an eye open for a HotBlast bomber. I'll be riding a red Axis167 with orange Indys. Hard to miss lol. :D