Note to New Members ×

going outwest

paappraiser

We did Salt Lake last year, and stayed in Sandy at the Homestead Inn, and it was an efficiency for breakfast and making our lunches. It was $55 a night for 2, and there's enough restaurants within walking distance to eat cheap and healthy, so that we repeated onlyh twice in 9 days. Good espresso shops and in the middle of everything (resorts). Try Powder Basin? on the weekends, with little to no lift lines. We hit 5 different resorts in 8 days of boarding, and we bought tickets at the local ski shop at about $40 a day. Never got bored on the slopes, and lots of different terrain, and also night life is available, again at walking distance.

We did Salt Lake last year, and stayed in Sandy at the Homestead Inn, and it was an efficiency for breakfast and making our lunches. It was $55 a night for 2, and there's enough restaurants within walking distance to eat cheap and healthy, so that we repeated onlyh twice in 9 days. Good espresso shops and in the middle of everything (resorts). Try Powder Basin? on the weekends, with little to no lift lines. We hit 5 different resorts in 8 days of boarding, and we bought tickets at the local ski shop at about $40 a day. Never got bored on the slopes, and lots of different terrain, and also night life is available, again at walking distance.

Homestead Studio Suites Salt Lake City - Mid Valley

5683 S. Redwood Rd.

Salt Lake City, UT 84123

This one?!

The trenchin convention is at the same time as the Sundance film festival, so things will definately be fun around that time. I'm sure that the nightlife will be great that week. You could even go star searching and find some people. Last year I saw Tommy Lee and Paris Hilton:barf: . She was wearing a pink ski suit and was getting made fun of by the ski patrol and other people on the mtn because she couldn't ski. Some resorts I'd definately hit up would be Park City, The Canyons, Snowbird and Snowbasin. All fun resorts and worth checking out. You can get discount lift tickets for the canyons at some board/ski shops like Milo, or even some gas stations. There's a few of us around here in Utah. I'll be at Park City instead of the canyons this winter. You can also find Billy Bordy, Phil Fell, Tille and a few other people around Utah.

The trenchin convention is at the same time as the Sundance film festival, so things will definately be fun around that time. I'm sure that the nightlife will be great that week. You could even go star searching and find some people. Last year I saw Tommy Lee and Paris Hilton:barf: . She was wearing a pink ski suit and was getting made fun of by the ski patrol and other people on the mtn because she couldn't ski. Some resorts I'd definately hit up would be Park City, The Canyons, Snowbird and Snowbasin. All fun resorts and worth checking out. You can get discount lift tickets for the canyons at some board/ski shops like Milo, or even some gas stations. There's a few of us around here in Utah. I'll be at Park City instead of the canyons this winter. You can also find Billy Bordy, Phil Fell, Tille and a few other people around Utah.

Not that I mind seeing celebs... I probally wont know a single one even if I ran into them. I will probally get PO'd if they get cuts in the lift line mostly

Any how

Thanks everyone for the ideas!!!!!

It looks like we are going to SLC, from 1/18-1/23/07

where do Bill and Phill etc ride...

What resorts/areas /trails etc do you reccomend?

Is there night riding open anywhere?

We are staying in SLC at the hotel for 60$ that someone here recoomended.

Driving--- We are just getting a front wheel drive car rental... do we need a SUV? I dont know how well the roads are cleared when it snows.

More Places to hang?

Thanks

Matt

I think Phil, Bordy and Tille ride at Park City most of the time, while Skully teaches (or taught) at The Canyons. Last I heard from Skully was that he was going to quit teaching there, but maybe he'll pop in on here and let us know where he will be this year. If you like fun fast turny runs, I'd recommend Canis Lupis at The Canyons. It's a double black, and is used for the Canis Lupis banked slalom. It's a gully with some crazy turns, small drop offs and it's kinda narrow in some spots. Otherwise any bowl is nice. Jupiter is a nice one at Park City. Park City and Brighton both have night skiing available. You can get 2for1 night skiing at Brigton on friday nights with a local radio stations "freeloader card". I can get you one of those cards if you want. Definately check out Powder Mountain for some powder and short lift lines, Snowbird is beautiful, Snowbasin is great and it had the downhill for the olympics, and The Canyons and Park City are both fun places. Go to the canyons on a weekday if you can though, the gondola line can get pretty long on the weekends.

Driving can be interesting here. You'd probably be fine if there's light snow with a front wheel drive. But the canyon roads to the resorts can get interesting and they do sometimes limit it to those with 4wd, chains or snowtires. So a suv might be a good idea.

More places to hang out...maybe Liquid Joes. It's a fun bar with live music on most nights. On thursdays they've got the Metal Gods that play your favorite metal band covers. Then on saturdays there's another band that plays 80's pop covers. The Depot, and The Venue are just a couple more bars to check out for live music.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need any other info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpine meadows website

Terrain:

2,400 patrolled acres; 100+ designated runs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squaw Valley website

6 peaks, 4,000 acres and 2,850 vertical feet of terrain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavenly website

With 4,800 acres, we are one of North America's largest mountains

:biggthump

So if you speak of SIZE -- and SIZE does matter sometimes. .. here is Whistler.. 2X the size of Heavenly or Squaw.

Total Terrain 8,171 acres/

Vertical Drop 5,200+ feet - top to bottom

Mountain Restaurants 17 with a total of 6,540 restaurant seats

:lol: :lol: :biggthump

I think Phil, Bordy and Tille ride at Park City most of the time, while Skully teaches (or taught) at The Canyons. Last I heard from Skully was that he was going to quit teaching there, but maybe he'll pop in on here and let us know where he will be this year. If you like fun fast turny runs, I'd recommend Canis Lupis at The Canyons. It's a double black, and is used for the Canis Lupis banked slalom. It's a gully with some crazy turns, small drop offs and it's kinda narrow in some spots. Otherwise any bowl is nice. Jupiter is a nice one at Park City. Park City and Brighton both have night skiing available. You can get 2for1 night skiing at Brigton on friday nights with a local radio stations "freeloader card". I can get you one of those cards if you want. Definately check out Powder Mountain for some powder and short lift lines, Snowbird is beautiful, Snowbasin is great and it had the downhill for the olympics, and The Canyons and Park City are both fun places. Go to the canyons on a weekday if you can though, the gondola line can get pretty long on the weekends.

Driving can be interesting here. You'd probably be fine if there's light snow with a front wheel drive. But the canyon roads to the resorts can get interesting and they do sometimes limit it to those with 4wd, chains or snowtires. So a suv might be a good idea.

More places to hang out...maybe Liquid Joes. It's a fun bar with live music on most nights. On thursdays they've got the Metal Gods that play your favorite metal band covers. Then on saturdays there's another band that plays 80's pop covers. The Depot, and The Venue are just a couple more bars to check out for live music.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need any other info.

Freeloader CArd!!? Thats Great.... If it saves 30 bucks! I just did a quick look up X96?

http://www.x96.com/12605TIME/station/freeloaderoffers.asp

If thats it Ill just do it online... Im sure they will enjoy sending it to philladalphia.

Im not a double black rider :) I can do db's here in PA. But I mostly stick to hard Blues everywhere else. The DB's are much harder out west imho .. but you dont have the ice we have so mabey toss in some boiler plate ice and its all the same.

So canyons on fridays, powder mountain on saturday, snowbird Sunday, park City monday?

Im assuming they all pretty close in distance. Hows that sound?

"Driving can be interesting here. You'd probably be fine if there's light snow with a front wheel drive. But the canyon roads to the resorts can get interesting and they do sometimes limit it to those with 4wd, chains or snowtires. So a suv might be a good idea. "

Do they have shuttles or anything like that?

It looks like we are going to SLC, from 1/18-1/23/07

where do Bill and Phill etc ride...

What resorts/areas /trails etc do you reccomend?

Is there night riding open anywhere?

You'll find Billy, Dave and the rest of the Hardbooter crew in Park City mostly and Phil is the head coach for the PCSB alpine team. Look 'em up!

Where to ride? Well, if you're staying in SLC, take your pick! Brighton, Soitude, Snowbird...and if you do the two-plank thing, Alta ( :barf: - directed to one of four hold-out resorts) You should take a day or two ride PC and/or the Canyons. Plenty of choices! You've picked a good time to come to the area and you will probably encounter a variety of riding conditions. In other words - BRING SOMETHING FOR POW!

Night riding - Brighton!

Though 4wd can come in handy, you should be fine with a front-wheel drive. A REALLY heavy dump can shut down the Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons for short period of time (hours), but these roads are generally well maintained. Same with I-80 to PC - not generally a problem. Yes, they 'Recommend' 4wd and/or chains - but the NEED is more of an exception rather than the rule in my experience. The state transit authority (www.rideuta.com) has bus services that go up Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons (Brighton, Solitude, Snowbird, Alta), not sure about SLC to PC - probably something available.

Yep, that's the X96 freeloader card! You can fill out the online thing to get one, but the station isn't really up for sending them out to even local people. My friend filled out that thing online and still hasn't gotten his card. You can get it at the radio station in downtown slc, or I'd be willing to grab you one since I go by there for work sometimes. Kirk's right about the bus system going to Brighton, Solitude and Snowbird, but there isn't anything going to the Park City area. Sounds like you've got the trip planned out! Powder Mountain and Snowbasin are just a little north of Salt Lake City, but worth the short drive. You'll be hitting some great mountains.