Note to New Members ×

Super G Race in Tahoe This March

Sinecure

I talked with Bill Loftus, a deaf rider out in Stratton, years ago. He told me back in the 80s, they used to have downhill event, but they shut it down cuz it was real dangerous. Now, this is as close as it gets with SuperG. -whistle- Dunno if I got "Big Balls" as AC/DC sang this song. This kind of event seperates the boys from the men.

In skiing it is a more turny DH course but since there is no DH snowboard i was wondering what does super G look like? is there much angulation or is is more in a tuck following the fall line. Any pics would be great.

In skiing it is a more turny DH course but since there is no DH snowboard i was wondering.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Probably not the best idea to try to hit ski gates at full Super-G speeds, but if you do send me the video of the carnage.

I've trained some Super-G locally with skier gates, and also run GS in same with my local "ski" club.

While taking skier gates across your boot tops is definitely NOT recommended at speed - especially heelside where the outside gate comes around and whacks you in the back/head - it is not necessarily a recipe for carnage. Skiers hit 'em at SG speeds all the time - albeit not as tightly as they do in GS. Some sort of strong wrist/forearm protection is recommended. I've seen Bode with some custom-built fiberglass protectors that go over the knuckles and up the forearm.

Always an easier hit heelside than toeside, but I have actually had better times in skier gates NOT hitting the sticks but instead concentrating on nailing the rise line and then barely clipping the gate, if at all. I think there is a tendency when trying to clip skier gates to stand up too tall no matter what armor you are wearing, and losing the edge pressure and and acceleration out of the turn.

At any rate, it is never pleasant at super-G speeds no matter what!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This race is next weekend. Is anyone heading out for it? Training day on Saturday (I think I heard the cost for that is $35 plus a lift ticket) and race on Sunday. If you haven't done a SG with them, the training is mandatory. I've heard that the training is the best part since you can just lap the course all day.

Roll Call? I'm going to try to get there.

• 1 month later...