Note to New Members ×

new convert

Guest delta21

Guest delta21

Hello all, I am going to start boarding this year, I have been skiing for 25 years, and have been a ski patroller for the past 5 years, I ski most double diamonds, so needless to say I am in for some large pieces of humble pie this year. I do have a few questions about purchasing a snowboard, from the reading that I have done, carving is the way for me to go, I'm just not interested in doing an inverted 920 with my pants around my knees, so it looks like I need an all- mountain board with the rounded tail,I like the hard boot idea and the bindings,I have helped quite a few boarders with frozen straps who cant get off or on their board, so I like the design of the hard boot binding as well.Can any board be mounted with hard boot bindings? do I need a certain waste width (I wear a size 11) there are also several choices about front and rear canting, so what is this and why should I care? Any good suggestions for a brand or model of board is quite welcome, as I hope to start patrolling on a board as soon as I'm comfortible with it. thanks, another fawlking nOOb:D

You can mount hard bindings to any board mostly but most of them will suck if they arent stiff enough. Being a Patroller myself in British Columbia, I would suggest to you to get an All mountain type hardboot board.(Coiler AM, Donek Axis, Prior AWD or 4X4 etc.) I have a Coiler AM and it will do anything I put it down. If you are Patrolling on Groomed runs only, get yourself a medium (12-13M)radius race board It wont do everything, but it will work for you 90 percent of the time. I have size 12 boots and rode a Coiler Pr 188 with a 19cm waist with 60/58 angle. Most AM boards are in the 20-22 cm range so angles shouldnt be a problem. If you are a CSPS patroller, there is lots of help for Boarders and skills to learn, I am an On hill instructor so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

FYI, For the new members, it would be particularly helpful if they would fill out the blanks in their profiles. Location especially, this would provide helpful locals with an opportunity to help get you up and running asap, IMO,

Welcome to Bomber and the world of Alpine Snowboarding!, :biggthump Bryan

If I were going to patrol I think I'd look seriously at AT boots rather than Snowboard boots. It depends on where you'll be patrolling, and AT boots will have a longer sole length, but it seems to me they'd offer more options and would work with Alpine ski bindings in a pinch. The downside is you couldn't do step-ins which would be really helpful when you have your hands full with a sled or bag full of bombs. Another bonus for AT boots is you probably have a shop near you that actually stocks them so you can try some on.

And like OSB said, post up your location info, that'll impact what we recommend. Oh, I'd probably look at Axxess, 4WD, AWD as board options. Get Bomber bindings - simple set up plus one tool to adjust/fix.