Note to New Members ×

Increasing your carve skills during the Summer

surfinsmiley

Hi team,

I`ve been tearing up my local hills on my longskateboard the last couple of months to keep me in the groove for next season and I`ve been trying to get my foot placement in the plus 45 degree range so that I can keep my muscle memory at least something close to correct.

Does anyone else have sucess at keeping their feet at high angles?

I always seem to get to the bottom of the hill and look at my feet and my backfoot is nearly always facing straight across the board again:smashfrea

I would also like to know about body position training using a longboard.

I am running 75a duro Gumball wheels on my Vangaurd and they seem to give a fair amount of grip but as we all know the angulation can never even get close using urethane wheels. I want to practice Hardboot style as much as possible during the no snow season. So.......

Has anyone come up with some good training exercises that will help with overall carving ability?

I`m getting the weight shift wired and it works just like on the snow.

I just don`t know if my body positoning is going to be helped or hindered by all my summer carving...............?

Ideas?

Thoughts?

Thanks and Keep on Carving!:biggthump

well speed is a big factor for me the faster I go the more square my feet get. Also which board I'm riding plays a part, my narrow cambered pintail seems to force my feet to stay at high angles. however since all I can do is carve that board or DH it without sliding it's pretty easy to stay at high angles. On my C39 (which admitedly I've only had built for 2 days) all pretense of staying at high angles goes away the first time I slide. However my hips are doing different things on those two boards so that is more likely to blame. Any carving you do over the summer will help, no matter what direction your feet face...now I just need coffee and I'm going pool skating

I always seem to get to the bottom of the hill and look at my feet and my backfoot is nearly always facing straight across the board again

Me too. I don't worry about it - I figure skating is skating and snowboarding is snowboarding.

I just don`t know if my body positoning is going to be helped or hindered by all my summer carving...............?

After a summer of skating, the first time I get on an alpine snowboard it takes me a few minutes to remember to get my weight forward. On a skateboard I tend to keep my weight a bit more over the back truck to stop the back end sliding out, but this doesn't work the same way on a snowboard :)

Also, on an alpine snowboard I have to angulate a lot more, especially on a toeside.

And the last thing is that the extra speed on a snowboard takes a bit to get used to after I've become used to skating speeds.

Me too. I don't worry about it - I figure skating is skating and snowboarding is snowboarding. After a summer of skating, the first time I get on an alpine snowboard it takes me a few minutes to remember to get my weight forward. On a skateboard I tend to keep my weight a bit more over the back truck to stop the back end sliding out, but this doesn't work the same way on a snowboard :)

Something else to remember is that for bowl/ramp skating you need to lean forward leaning back is just a good way to end up on your a$$. A slightly rear biased stance works well in the street and DH/slaloming but when you start to play on Tranny the opposite is true

I have a sliding/ramp setup to and there is no way I can use that one in anything but flat angles, I sort think it`s more like softboot riding in the pipe or park.

It`s the carving board that has me really addicted at this piont though. Probably because I`ve not found any good bowls in Japan, but also because I am totally addicting to turning, just for the feel of it.

I`m getting the downhill edge setting happening really well on my skater and I`m hoping I can transfer that skill to the snow next season. Last season, everytime I set a downhill edge I`d feel really "Freaked Out", like I was going to crash or something.

It`s all good huh! just as long as were carving down the path of life :biggthump.

Striving to get better.