Note to New Members ×

stoked?

Guest stoked

Guest stoked

well I would like to ask you for compliments or harsh criticism about stoked.at since I want to work on it throughout this summer to get an enhanced version online for upcoming winter season

so in case you have any thoughts or suggestions sharing them here would be great since I have a clear vision about what the site should be I mean I just want it to be a good alpine snowboarding website so you may fill in some details about what specific features it or like the alpine snowboarding website of your dreams should include ... so that I know in advance how much the result of my humble efforts will disapoint you I guess

what I will rather not include is a forum since that is already taken care of on the net what I will offer are multimedia profile pages that you can create and update yourself and full featured @stoked.at email accounts too

whatever suggestions about what the site should become are welcome

Cheers & best carves to you,

Bernhard

http://stoked.at

info@stoked.at

Guest stoked

okay so I will figure out some enhancements :)

getting good pics for the calendar ( http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=10570&highlight=alpine+calendar )

a whole CD from http://ingemar-walder.at has arrived recently and I also like the one below from http://andi-prommegger.at

definitely until end of july or maybe end of august any more calendar pictures are welcome

Cheers and thanks,

Bernhard

http://stoked.at

post-604-141842218303_thumb.jpg

not a bad job at all. Some good stuff there. At first glance, the orange stoked.at heade header should be clickable so you can return to the homepage from anywhere on the site. Alot of good stuff there. Keep it up.

edit: while looking through the pictures, it would be nice to have a "next" arrow to go to the next picture, kind of what you did with the galleries in general.

Guest stoked

exactly thanks I considered that earlier but would probably have forgotten about it so definitely the stoked.at 'logo' will be clickable - also will work on the galleries although I might keep the functionality the same

i read on your site that you don't want people linking images from your site. There is a way to prevent people from doing that, but I haven't worked with html, java or anything with website design in 3 years so I totally forgot. Its the best way to save bandwith.

am not sure what the point is of saving bandwith with a few images linked, when you are on the same site hosting videos that usually represent 90% of the bandwith ( for a site with vids of course)..

I have noticed the time consumption to prevent image linking is not worth it...

We have well above 100 GB/month bandwith consumption with the vids on EC.com and still image are less than 5% of it.

bandwidth cost has fallen so i'm not sure its worth fighting against direct linking of images...

My 1 ct!

Nils

Guest stoked

yeah the pic of you Nils is a great one for the startpage and I want to add some more there too of which one is randomly selected and displayed whenever someone loads the startpage

as for pictures in general I will work on the galleries to hopefully expand them and also to ask for permission (again) for each picture because I also want to include detailed credits

as for hot-linking I am only aware of asking for not directly linking to clips although also with pictures I would of course prefer links to a page rather than a picture - will only try to technically prevent direct links to clips though since that also directly affects bandwith related costs

and @Art your german is great I think you are ready to proceed to the locals slang page http://stoked.at/slang.html :)

also I am not planning on writing a big introduction to alpine in english I will rather expand it in german and just keep linking to the BOL Welcome Center for detailed introducory infos in english

Cheers and thanks,

Bernhard

I'm loving that slang page. Took spanish in high school instead of German or French because we got more spanish speaking people here than German or French. Couldve taken Russian for an easy A but some reason decided against it.

I think a flash intro would be cool. I'm not as proficient in flash as I used to be so I'd be pretty useless but I'm sure someone on here would be glad to help.

I think the website is OK the way it is, but one or two things.

I don't like the way the pictures are displayed. I had a slow connection and I thought the site was broken (because I use Firefox), but it would not work with other browsers because the page did not change and it took a long time to display the picture. I prefer picture galleries using "Gallery" tupe software, like Gallery, Coppermine and so on.

And please, PLEASE, do NOT use Flash. It is a plague to the internet. It has little function but to do what its name implies: flash. It makes browsing for content awkward and it takes ages to load when someone is using a slow connection (I was until last January, I now a have a medium connection). In essence, Flash is nothing more than a useless toy.

Well its true, flash is just to make your website flashier. Most websites with flash intros have a button that you can click to skip the intro. I didn't say the whole site should be flash because that would be a huge pain in the ass, just the intro. Like some cool carving video mix or something.

Ich weiß nicht Bernhard. The site's terrific the way it is. If you expand the Rider Pages and encourage more folks to participate, that would be great. Giving riders the means to upload and edit their personal sites would be great but I don't know how to set up such a function on a webpage.

Pat

BTW, do you ever get to Davos? I'll be there February 9-17 next year.