Note to New Members ×

Treo 650 v 700

skatha

This is not a Windows OS debate, BTW....

I'm looking at either-software I'm looking at is available for both....

What's everybody's preference and why....

I'm looking mainly at the 700 but will entertain ideas con about the 700 and pro 650...

Sorry - I can't attest to the comparisons. I tried to buy the 700 but Verizon said it had been too soon since my last upgrade. I bought a new Pocket PC with built in WiFi instead.

My only experience with Palm in the past was BAD. My wife and I had two entry level M505s a few years back and had to exchange each one three times to get ones that worked properly. Customer Service was the worst I had ever experienced in my life. Despite that the 700 looked so neat I figured I give them another chance. Verizon just didn't want to sell it to me.

I'm still a bit wary of WinMob5. The Palm and Blackberry OS's are much more refined and optimized for the small screen, IMO. Also I hear from WinMob users that they have to reboot once or twice a day (PITA).

There's definitely more development and ISV work going into WinMob than Palm. I think we'll see much more stability in the next rev.

My company is currently evaluating replacements for the blackberry. Well they where until the lawsuit get settled. But we looked at the treo and a number of other WinOS based PDA/Phones. I would take a look at the Motorola Q it should be coming out soon unless you use verizon since they have to screwed with it to get it locked down and working on their network. As for the difference between the 650 and the 700 well it really is a perference wether you like palm OS or WinOS.

It probably should be a Windows Mobile debate because that is the value-add....

I owned a 700 for a few weeks and was then offered a VX6700. There are a number of reviews b/w the two:

http://www.informationdirtroad.com/2006/02/verizon_vx6700.html

It sounds overly simple, but I ditched the 700 because you can't charge via the USB cable.....which, IMO, is a HUGE mistake. The Treo has a separate power cable from the sync cable. Of couse, wireless sync is the way to go. Sitting on a desk at a client's office, it's much "sexier" to run the USB cable for power.

If the Treo could be charged through the USB, I'd probably go back...although the WiFi capability on the VX6700 is pretty cool. I'm running a "secret" VoIP app which allows me to bypass Verizon (duck for cover).

As for diff b/w the 650 and 700.....obviously the OS and then small issues (lil smaller, upgraded buttons, slightly sexier design.)

It really depends on your carrier, but if you are with Verizon, I'd hold out for the next generation of SmartPhone (Win Mobile, just no attachment capability). My VX is a bit big.....

K

It probably should be a Windows Mobile debate because that is the value-add....

I owned a 700 for a few weeks and was then offered a VX6700. There are a number of reviews b/w the two:

http://www.informationdirtroad.com/2006/02/verizon_vx6700.html

It sounds overly simple, but I ditched the 700 because you can't charge via the USB cable.....which, IMO, is a HUGE mistake. The Treo has a separate power cable from the sync cable. Of couse, wireless sync is the way to go. Sitting on a desk at a client's office, it's much "sexier" to run the USB cable for power.

If the Treo could be charged through the USB, I'd probably go back...although the WiFi capability on the VX6700 is pretty cool. I'm running a "secret" VoIP app which allows me to bypass Verizon (duck for cover).

As for diff b/w the 650 and 700.....obviously the OS and then small issues (lil smaller, upgraded buttons, slightly sexier design.)

It really depends on your carrier, but if you are with Verizon, I'd hold out for the next generation of SmartPhone (Win Mobile, just no attachment capability). My VX is a bit big.....

K

Thanks for the info about the charging-that was my biggest complaint about the last Palm I had-the lowly M100(yikes)....

I would run out the charge and have to reload everything....