Note to New Members ×

Carbon Fiber Supplier

Chubz

"Carbonfibre is a higher performance reinforcement, and is three to five times more expensive than glass. It is significantly stiffer and springier, much stronger tensile strength but is not particularly tough. When it breaks it does so with a sudden violent snap, whereas glass will slowly give before it lets go completely. A given weight of carbon will be stronger in the board than that of glass, so weight can be saved by using less material for a given strength. But glass should be retained too for resillience. Typical carbon weight would be a 2x2 twill weave at 200gsm. This is the diagonal stripy carbon that looks very high tech. 4x4 twill is where the warp 'picks' or bundles of fibres go under 4 then over 4 weft picks, and vice-versa - the 'stripes' look fatter - 2x2 has a 2 pick offset of 2. Plain weave is the chequered carbon you often find on custom auto parts and has a pick offset of 1 - each warp pick goes over then under 1 weft pick at a time, and vice versa. The differences in weave style alter the drape characteristics of the fabric and this will not make much difference on a snowboard which is a relatively flat application. We can choose what to use based on aesthetic considerations." Grafsnowboards

At this point its a little chinese to me, but trying to learn.

I didnt get to ride it, so I dont know. It looks thick as hell and I'm sure it doenst need if I'm 210 and its made for 235. I cant wait to take the bronc for a ride here in PA and try to keeo it out of the trees.

In process of making my own boards. Garage has been gutted, benches built, wood bought for cores, tools acquired and now finding local steel supplier to build press and then forms. Will be ordering materials in the near future, just getting ready.

As Timmy Yolonger once said "He who makes own board that works, grins just a little bigger!" Ok.... I made that up , but I think it may strike true with me, If I can make a board that works.

On most counts. . .

But fiberglasssupply.com is the place to go.

I have been buying my carbon there for several years now. Best prices, best selection, fast shipping. Just dont use a discover card when ordering (looooooonnnnnnnnggggg story).

Every year or so I go on a hunt for a cheaper supplier, when I think prices have gotten outrageous. Fiberglass supply always has come out on top for the weight and size and quantities of cloths most of us are interested in. IF you get ready for making LOTS of boards, there is another set of contacts to buy what you need by the whole roll. But that is $$$$ especially in carbon.

-Todd

If you are looking for quantity, try contacting Dick or Craig at Ironbark Composites. Yeah, they are in Australia but they get production done in China and send stuff all over the world. If you just want enough for one or two boards, local is the best way to go.