Note to New Members ×

Catek Olympic versus OS2?

Jonny

I've been riding step-in Olympics forever, and recently picked up a pair of the OS2, which included modified Bomber steel receivers (well, one's modified and I'm doing the other, so I can replace my old intecs with Fintecs) Can anyone offer information on the advantages/differences of the OS2 vs Olympic apart from the obvious difference in how they adjust? Anything I need to watch out for? Those silicone bumpers look pretty sketchy - do they really stay on without adhesive? They'd be going on a Proteus 180 without a plate, if that matters. I could just put the receivers on my old bindings just as easily. Thanks!

The base plate of the OS2 will flex and give a lot more than that of the OS1.

If those attributes figure high on the shopping list, then you're in luck. 

Depending on your weight and riding preferences, you might be better off with the new receivers on the old bindings. 

Alternately, you can use the OS2 top assembly, minus the 'bridge', on the OS1 base. Might need a longer/different kingbolt, but the diameter and pitch is the same. The upper section of the OS2 has been carved out to accommodate the bridge, so that will save a little weight.

Thank you! I'm 105kg and prefer a very rigid connection so for now I'll try the receivers on the old plate and see how I do. It's shocking how much more positive the engagement is on clicking in to the steel frames, compared with the aluminum receivers, and how much easier it is to click out, at least on carpet. I'll try them like this with the Intecs before putting the fintecs in the boots. Thanks again!

25 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

RJ,

Might be mistaken, but I think the smaller footprint was more of a problem with the early generation metal boards, and not so much with subsequent designs.

Could be! Bruce at Coiler will add reinforcements under the topsheet for OS2's on request. So maybe not...