Note to New Members ×

Freight shipping - sailing boat from NZ to Thailand?

kipstar

I recently bought a high performance sport boat in NZ, it is like a sailing dinghy with a keel, 22ft long and weighs (without the keel) about 90kg.

I need to get this up to Thailand, and wondering if there are any shipping indsutry experts out there with advice on how to do this?

So far, it looks like my best options are:

- ship in a 40 foot container at the same time as something else (it weighs almost nothing, but takes up some space)

- try to find someone bringing a boat up here by container and stick it on the top as a dinghy

SHipping it on its own is crazy expensive, more than the cost of the boat itself...

Anyone?

Guest Boardrigger

you can try contacting Rustykea@hotmail.com & asking for Simon Escott.

He & his mates have sailed vessels all over the world. He may be your man.

Good Luck!

Cheers, Eric

P.s. make sure to tell him eric from kirkwood refferred you for the nice price :)

boat shipping is a big industry in the atlantic, im shure that you can find the same type of service in NZ. My sister and her husband are having a 49 ft boat built in thailand and having it shipped to south florida. instead of sailing the boat, a flat barge that can submerge to load boats and than raises up when the boats are all resting on blocks.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, answer was a local firm who could ship it for $4k USD including insurance; every other firm was $17k USD or more for the exact same thing.

Definitely pays to ask around!

Outsider:

You do not need a barge, it can be loaded onto a flat top cradle and put on top of the shipment of a container ship. I would be very interested to know what they are buying, is it a TP52? They should do the Kings Cup regatta in Dec if so... PM me if you want @:-)