Note to New Members ×

Mammoth Lifts

Guest Tim Tuthill

Guest Tim Tuthill

Hey all: Have you noticed that the lift ops are in Spring mode?? Or is it me being paranoid about the new owner set up? All that snow and the top of the mountain being shut down with no indication of upper ops? Anyone know whats up?

Tim, they got over FOUR FEET in the last two days, and will most likely break the all-time record (at least as long as they have been recording) for overall snowfall TODAY! 609" as of this morning and its still dumping! Mountain ops are having to dig out entire lifts and lift paths as the snow is nearing the TOPS OF THE LIFT TOWERS. Major avy control across the entire top, and thats why the upper lifts are opening only intermittantly.

As awesome all of this snow is, its not exactly what we want for SNES this weekend :rolleyes:

Guest Tim Tuthill

Neil: They are over the all time amount!! Talked to English this AM. He said there are problems with the new owners! Money guys, not skiers or boarders? He said a lotta talk from the locals is that the Mc Coy stoke is gone. Too bad, he is an all time guy with nothing but an interest to make the mountain available to all as long as they could. And end of an era.

Tim,

I am not too worried about the new owners yet. Independence Day is a given now. What did Terry say the new owners were going to do?

It looks like we're heading into July no problem. Right off of the mammoth home page this evening:

Mammoth Mountain has broken our all-time snowfall record. On April 4, we passed the previous record of 617 inches set in the 1992/93 season. Don't put your winter gear away yet - we've extended the season until the Fourth of July.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Neil; Terry talked about the problems at June and the confrontation with the locals about new development. Time will tell if there is a real change. I know they will take some time to dig out from what is going on right now. To me it is pretty simple. Only the hard core are there from now on. It has allways been that way. No one is planning a winter vacation with the kids etc at this time of year. So, it costs big bucks to keep it going for a few pass holders. To me that's why the lift ops are down sized. My 2 cents for what its worth. You guys have a great time this weekend. Steep and deep of the Paranoids etal!!!