Note to New Members ×

how to not shatter your heels

DiveBomber

so how do i NOT do this:

when loose my heelside edge and am sliding on my butt, But then the board comes back down and starts to catch/chatter, it feels like someones hitting my heels with a sledge hammer. which is one of the reasons i hesitate to do any heelside turns at speed cause if that happens it could turn nasty.

I also have suffered form some chattering. The main reason of the chattering with me was caused by/due to:

- weight not centered above the board

- too much pressure at my back foot, due to the mistake I was afraid to fall

,backwards in my case, what you do then is just more weight on your

back (foot) and leaning over the back: causes just even more chatter.

So the conclusion for me was:

- stay centered above your board in any case.

- stay more upright (your upperbody)

- just push your frontfoot more, this also correct yourself because it's almost

natural that you lean too much backwards/on your backfoot in a backside,

if you are regular try to reach with your right and left hand the tip (front)

on the left of your board).

This technique also helped me a lot:http://www.extremecarving.com/tech/tech.html

I also use race/bombertechnique.

Greets, Hans.

When you want to save your heels I would suggest lifting your board and jamming the tail into the ice. You will then pivot around the anchored tail and begin to slide head-first. This way your heels won't get hurt and you don't have to watch as you fly into the trees!

:cool:

Seriously... Do your feet/heels have some prior condition? From time to time I get plantar faciaitis (sp?) which can cause me lots of heel pain, but this does not sound like what you are dealing with. I've never had pain from the 'sliding on your butt, trying to stop with the heel edge' even though I do it quite a bit.

:freak3:

well the pain comes from when the board digs back in while perpendicular to the direction im moving, because unlike on my freeride board i cant tilt the board to slide, i just DIGS then bounces then digs,(think like if you were catching air and landing sideways) but yes i did eventually get my self to rotate so I was on my back going head first so i could hold the board in the air untill i was going slow enough to drag it, so that it woudlnt rip the board off my feet