Note to New Members ×

Carving runs at Whiteface

Marker

I can only tell you, go early and hope that there is not too much ice. Whiteface should really be called Iceface, the conditions generally are horrible. Any of their long diamonds will not disapoint if there is not too much ice. THis year, thanks to warm weather however, things have been better. Upper Runway and upper Parkway are the hills that I see the most psychotic carving being done. Hope this helps and I hope your board survives, whiteface almost always does serious damage to my board if I ride the whole mountain.

I've been skiing (since 1976) & riding (since 1993) at whiteface a long time.

It depends on your skill. If you like the steeps, try "Cloudspin" or "Skyward".

"Parkway", "Thruway" & "Drapers Drop" are awesome! these three are "Off the beaten path" trails that only the locals seem to find & are usually well groomed becase they are used for race training & don't get a lot of traffic even on crowded days. During the week you'll have them all to yourself. :biggthump they are my fav's.

When your legs get tired Excelsior is a ton of fun, it snakes down the Mt. (Load CCR's "Run through the jungle" in your ipod for this one") only problem is that the main gondola, the most popular lift on the mt, dumps all the yahoos off right at the top of Excesior & on a busy day it's bumber to bumper traffic. During the week IT IS FUN!!!!! :AR15firin

Excelsior takes you to the bottom of the summit quad, take "Easy Street" or "Broadway"(these two give your legs a rest but are still fun) to "Boreen", Boreen is one of my favorite runs carving or otherwise, it's just steep enough for 30-45 mph or so but long & flat for worry-free-easy on the legs fun speed(watch out for kids!).

These are the runs I enjoy the most when carving Whiteface.

As with any Mt. get there early to carve, they do a tremendous job with maintaining the trails but it does get icy after 1pm or so if the winter has been in a warm & freeze cycle.

As for frochild's comments, I have found that the blues at Whiteface are black diamonds everywhere else, the blacks are double blacks everywhere else & so on. It's a fairly steep Mt overall with some tight trails but still something for everyone.

"Iceface"... yes, in the past, but it's much better now.

Board damage? I'm not sure about that one, watch where your going I guess. white is good brown is bad.

I've ridden the lift with a lot a people from around the country, on great days they love whiteface, on good days they(western US folks it seems usually) whine about the conditions. No offence to the western riders, I'm jealous of the powder(12 inches here is shear heaven) but it's different here I guess.

In summary, If your going to carve at whiteface, pack your nutts. you'll need 'em. :ices_ange

Thanks for the feedback, Video. I enjoy steeps if there is decent snow on them, but I have heard that 'steep' at most places is not like 'steep' at Whiteface - as you say.

Have you been there recently? How are the conditions holding up with the warm weather?

Thanks again for the good info.

I was there last thursday thru sunday & it was awesome, groomed top to bottom, 40 dgrees, perfect. Sunday was rainy & I don't think there going to make it into april. It's raining right now as a matter of fact.

One other thing to consider with whiteface is the "Less than wide open" trails

I rode my factory prime(13m sidecut) all weekend & had only a few close calls. I only ride that one one well groomed days, Otherwise I switch to my old asym with a 7.6m sidecut, it's fun but not as fast.

Whiteface is a great mountain! The damage to my board usually comes from the really hard ice on top of the mountain....it is those runs that I reall have fun on...long and steep. I would not say that their diamonds are like double diamonds, I have been on much steeper stuff. That being said, if you try and truely carve those diamonds, your balls better be made of steel!!!!!

cheers