Note to New Members ×

OLDIES - Burton ALP - COIL - U.P.

Guest ECUVOL

Guest ECUVOL

Hi,

I'm new on teh forum so hello to everybody.

Sorry for my bad english I speek normaly french (...from Belgium).

After a 5 years without practice, I want carving again and want to buy and easy and not to expensive carving board.

I'm 5"10 en about 145lbs and want to surf again 10 days a year (want more but...).

I can buy a ALP64 from 2000 (new), a COIL56 from 2002 and a second hand Ultra Prime 56 from 2001 (only Burton's...).

How is it with the flex and the performance of this boards ?

I'm afraid the Coil is to short for his flexibility and ...

Can some experts help me ??

Regards,

id just like to say welcome to bomberonline. You defintly came to the right place for help because between all of these guys and gals, you can learn anything. I'm not too knowledgable on any boards except i have a burton ultra prime 162 and it was defintly a good board to learn on. You would defintly be able to pick it right back up with it. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. I have had a Burton Coil 172, and I find it to be very soft (too flexible) to carve while going fast. The nose on this board will buckle (flex too much) when even the slightest amount of weight is placed on the front foot in a turn. I find my back leg gets very fatigued when riding the Coil because I have to lean back to keep the nose from buckling in the turns. I think this is caused by two factors:

[1]the extreme side-cut (only a 10.25m radius) means the nose and tail engage the snow very aggressively in the turns making the board very "turny".

[2]the board is very flexible

I think the combination of [1] and [2] make this board difficult at best to carve on. The only "carving" I've been able to do on the Coil is quick, small radius, fall-line (crossing-under) turns at moderate speed.

That said, I'm sure someone out there likes the Coil, and I weigh 200 pounds, so the Coil may seem plenty stiff to you at 145. Also, I am not an expert, but I know that when I ride my other board (Prior 181 WCR) it feels effortless in comparison, and my legs don't get fatigued on the Prior.

My two cents worth...Good luck.