Note to New Members ×

Do I need to change kit to get fully into carving??

Guest JJ_B

Hi y'all, I'm been boarding on and off for a few years now and am still frequently faced with a very annoying problem. I'm a goofy footer with a 169 K2 Eldorado and for some reason, when I'm on a slow, flat run on my heel edge, I seem to inevitably drift into a turn to the right.

I'm guessing it's probably because I'm subconsciously rotating my shoulders to the right and this drags the board to the right....(?).

Anyhow, in trying to fix the problem, I'm thinking of changing style to a more carver orientation, i.e. face almost fully forward. To do this, I get the impression I should ditch the faithfull ol' K2 and get myself a proper carving board (e.g. DONEK Freecarve) hard boots and bindings. I'm not blaming my kit for my problems mind, it just seems the easiest option..and being a 'long board' style surfer from Oz, am only interested in carving, not at all in jumps, pipe etc.

The thing is, if I go to the usual board manufacturer sites, there seems to be few true carving boards about and they tend to offer 'freecarve'.

So here's my question, in order to move fully into carving, do I need to get a new board (e.g. with a flat rear edge) or could I use my existing K2 Eldorado and simply rotate the bindings so that I'm facing almost fully forward?

You should definatly go with hardboots. You don't get the same support from soft boots if you ''rotate them''. IMO, a soft boot should not go above 25 degree. The reason is that those soft binding were made to support toe and heel pressure. When your bindings are at.. Let's say 45 degrees, you will tend to put the pressure on the side of your foot (The edge), and you won't have full support from your soft binding. And I would suggest you get a flexible freecarve board to start, shorter than your K2! Just my 0.02$ Jules

Well, to answer your question about riding, you aren't riding flat if you're on your heelside edge. You're turnign because you're engaging the heelside edge slightly, not because of your shoulders.

You can start by rotating your current bindings to an angle that is comfortable. Don't go up by more than 5-10 degrees at a time. When you get to about 30 degrees, its probably going to be very limiting, given your equipment.

Based on what you said, a hard boot, true carving set up would probably be great for you. You don't like pipe/park and like to carve. IMO you can't do this as well on traditional equipment as you can on carving equipment.

Are you in the US or OZ? There are a few other Aussies here so maybe they can tell you where to find stuff in OZ. Otherwise it is mail order so do your homework well here on Bomber before ordering since returning will be a biatch.

Well, to answer your question about riding, you aren't riding flat if you're on your heelside edge. You're turnign because you're engaging the heelside edge slightly, not because of your shoulders.

he didnt say he was riding base-flat, only that the run is flat. "when I'm on a slow, flat run on my heel edge, "

what I cant figure out is how pressuring the heel edge would make you go RIGHT...

oh wait...you're goofy footed. duh. missed that. sorry.

oh, and...try the hardboots and plates on your eldo FIRST. see what happens

there are other ozzie carvers here, too. might be able to connect with them

Hi y'all, I'm been boarding on and off for a few years now and am still frequently faced with a very annoying problem. I'm a goofy footer with a 169 K2 Eldorado and for some reason, when I'm on a slow, flat run on my heel edge, I seem to inevitably drift into a turn to the right.

I'm guessing it's probably because I'm subconsciously rotating my shoulders to the right and this drags the board to the right....(?).

Anyhow, in trying to fix the problem, I'm thinking of changing style to a more carver orientation, i.e. face almost fully forward.

So here's my question, in order to move fully into carving, do I need to get a new board (e.g. with a flat rear edge) or could I use my existing K2 Eldorado and simply rotate the bindings so that I'm facing almost fully forward?

The problem you are having has nothing to do with your equipment or your stance setup. If you are on an edge you will *always* drift in the direction of that edge. Try running flat or gently alternating between very light toe and heelside edging. To repeat you heelside drift issue is purely a technique problem and you are going to have the problem no matter what boots, bindings, board or stance angles you have. RUN FLAT!

If you want to get hardboot to try out does really hard deep carves... go for it! But it won't solve the issues you are having... that just requires more practice. At the level you are at, you can do a lot more carving on your current board setup (although you could always get hardboots and plate bindings and put them onto your eldorado).