Note to New Members ×

stupid question of the month

Bubba

Guest Marilyn Cambers

WHOA! Not sure what the wax is doing to your lungs - but it IS apparent what it has done to your face! The respirator is useless, try wearing a brown paper bag!

Almost positive that you should NOT put your name on the national donor's list -- not even a dying person could honestly say they wanted a donation from you!

Marilyn ;)

ps do you own a steelers jacket?

Marilyn

Tried the paper bag today but I ended up putting a nice layer of wax on my hand. It was even harder driving my rusty but trusty 1970 Fodge (half ford- half dodge) to the liquor store to get some more high falutin Night Train wine. If you have a Steelers jacket send it my way. Just might help my chances with the ladies.

Bubba

Guest Marilyn Cambers

You've gotta cut holes in the brown paper bag where your eyes are! That may alleviate placing wax on parts of your body - not that it wouldn't help.

Steelers jacket - well, I think the knob gobblin is looking for you over there in the woods of Pennsylvania & I'm sure she'll get ya a jacket! Matter of fact, I think that "lady" would be perfect for ya!

Marilyn ;)

WOW I SEE THE LIGHT!!!!!!

No more wax on the body!!!!!! Although, when I scraped the wax off my hand the hair came with. So today I tried it on my chin and what an improvement. Can you say Studmuffin!!! I could get a job modeling for the Fleet Farm catalog.

We have plenty of knob gobblins here in SE Minnesota so no need for the trip east. I stay away from those "ladies". I can always use a sheep as backup if needed. But now, with my mug looking so fine there are going to be some lonely farm animals tonight.

Thanks for the Help.

Bubba

Bubba,

The main concern with exposure to heating waxes is through the inhalation route (no issues with skin absorption or ingestion - sorry if I'm being too obvious!).

Most of the modern waxes these days are pretty inert (even the fluoro waxes). As long as you are not heating the wax beyond about 570* F (I think most waxing irons would have a hard time getting close to that temperature!), you should be ok. Good ventilation is always your best bet in controling fume/particulate and vapors. So if you're doing a LOT of waxing, at least get some dilution ventilation (open windows, doors,etc.). The ideal situation would be to have some kind of exhaust system in place (we're talking a LOT of waxing).

The two issues with heating this type of wax are upper respiratory irritation from 1) hydrocarbon components, which would be in the form of a particulate, and if heated to the point of decomposition, 2) fluorine. The problem with fluorine is that it will react with moisture (H2O) in the respiratory tract and become hydrofluoric acid - most likely resulting in an acute irritation of the respiratory tract and not the degradation of tissue. Bottom line, DON'T OVER HEAT. Keep your iron at a low setting. If your using a polyethylene (ptex) candle for base repair, the ventilation is a real good idea! Watch out for base cleaners that have aromatic hydrocarbons (xylene, toluene, benzene, etc.) - those, in my opinion, are a bigger issue than waxing with fluorinated waxes! And if you're going to be using a powered brush for texturing/base cleaning, use a particulate mask (N-95).

If you are going to use a respirator, it's important that it fits! No facial hair (compromises the seal on your face). A tight-fitting air purifying respirator (NIOSH approved) with organic vapor/acid gas cartridges and a P-100 (HEPA) pre-filter is what you would need. Respirators are kind of a tricky thing if you want them to work right - specifically in the fitting.

Look, I apologize for being so long winded - occupational safety and health is what I do for a living. After all this drivel, bottom line: Make sure you have some ventilation and don't over heat the wax. Most waxing irons are at a low enough temperature that there is really no issue. Hope this helps (and not confuses) you. Good luck and happy tuning!

Kirk