Note to New Members ×

leg fatigue and binding setup?

Guest owaysys

Guest owaysys

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can cast some light on a problem I've been having lately.

Over Christmas break, I rode a 178 Volkl Renntiger with the same angles, cant, and stance width on my bindings that I've been riding for the past ten years. I rode all day for two days and had no leg fatigue.

Since then, I bought a 183 Renntiger and have been riding it with the same binding setup. I'm having crazy leg fatigue to the point where I can't go more than 3 runs without completely blowing out my front leg.

I know the 183 is a lot stiffer than the 178, but could that be the reason for my muscle fatigue? I feel like such a wuss, but this is just crazy. Has anyone had similar experiences when moving to a stiffer board?

sounds like you are trying to overcompensate with the longer board. Thus wearing your legs out faster. I do work a little bit harder to ride my longer board- Liberation 185 than my rentiger 173 but not that much harder. I also don't ride the liberation if the snow is choppy as it is too much work to keep from being bounced around. Also I like to use a stiffer boot with those 2 boards- Head Stratos pro. I tried riding with the Raichile lemans but had trouble holding an edge well on harder snow conditions. I use the lemans to ride all mountain on a prior 4x4 174. This boot is way softer than the head boot. I weigh 185 and am 5'10''. You will get used to the longer lenght board after a while. You might try riding only part of the day on the longer board to start until you are more used to it. I hope this helps. The longer board will make it more fun to do bigger longer turns without slowing down.

This may sound a little silly, but are you comparing them correctly?

Same snow, same mountain, same shape, bindings....etc.

Sometimes its the little things that we dont' notice like the snow was choppier, the mountain had longer runs, you haven't been working out as much, using older bindings without elastomer in them...

The other possibility is that it is just the board. After all they don't make the 183 as a production board. Just team riders as far as I can tell. So it may be stiff enough to make the difference.