Note to New Members ×

Get low in transitions? Or get high?

SWriverstone

I'm still a bit confused over something, and I'm not sure if it's just Eurostyle versus American style, or if each has different advantages...

I've heard one school of thought that says you should get your CG as low as possible during a carve, then get higher (e.g. stand up more) during the transition between heelside/toeside, then get low again.

I've also heard a school of thought that says get really low during the transition, then slowly extend your legs (push out) during the carve.

Are these really two techniques? Or just two different variations on the same technique?

Scott

http://www.bomberonline.com//articles/cross_over.cfm

No, what I'm talking about is different from crossover/cross-through (which is more a horizontal thing). I guess I'm referring more to where your CG is relative to the ground (in a vertical sense) during the transition, and then at the deepest point in a carve...

Your COG will be higher off the ground during cross-over turns than cross under or cross through.

I'm of the opinion that on ice and/or steeps, the best way to maintain balance is to use the method that results in the least displacement/upsetting of your COG. Which is cross-through.

If you want to ride with "High Early Pressure" you must

be small and trying to back in the front seet in the transition.

This will allow your turn to be completed when passing the gate.

Kildy would disagree............

Just .02

Alan

If you have lots of room and can turn where and when you want, you can get low through the turn and stand up to change edges.

We call this up-unweighting. (cross-over)

If you need to make tight turns or turn when you don't want to (traffic, trees, late in the gates, ect) you'd be better served by pushing out to the middle of the turn and then quickly pulling your legs in to change edges.

This is called down-unweighting. (cross-under)

The most dynamic of all is a combination of both. Get low to pressure because it's stable if you hit a bump and if you hit ice you might slip, but you won't fall. When you move to change edges, rise up a bit to press the board for that last bit of grip, but then when you've made enough room for your legs and board to pass under your trunk, pull the lower body through the gap.

You Yanks call it cross-through and the EC fellas call it "push-pull". We don't have a term for it except to say "do a little of both".

I guess you could call the latter 2 turns the best as they promote a quiet upper body which works better in all types of terrain and promotes more even edge pressure through the whole turn.

The first is a good, mellow way to get down the hill, but leaves you a bit extended and exposed to a fall when you're at your maximum extension and farthest away from your base of support. It also takes the longest amount of time to happen, so is only good for big turns.

Generally, any good run will require the use of every skill you know so break the run up with something other than groomed terrain. If you don't go into "real" conditions (untouched by the machines of man) you'll never force the issue, thereby learning something new.

If we agree that the transition is the space between the end of one turn and start of another, one is usually a little in the back seat at the end of the previous turn.

The transition is when your core pulls you back into the front seat, while at the same time you bed your knees. This allows you to (once you set your edge) to push or resist pressure, at the top of the turn. This is a very slight move. You continue to Push/add pressure thru the apex. At that time most of the turning should be complete,,,,,,there is nothing to push against. Repeat.

This is usually called hight early pressure and is used by folk that run a rounder course.

Watching a good GS skier helps you get the picture.

Hope this helps

Alan

Depends on what your goals are. In my opnion of a good transition you'll be both high and low.

You should extend you mass into the next turn. When your body moves downhill at the end of one turn you will be "low". As you continue to move into the turn you will start to be "high" as your board begins to hook up.

Hope this dosen't confuse.