Note to New Members ×

Back from a MtHood trip... with spring-like conditions.

DrCR

Got back from a Monday, Tuesday 2-day trip to MtHood / to visit a friend of mine. May not seem to incredible for most of you, but it was a big difference and a lot of fun for a previous eastcoaster-only.

The conditions were, well, horrible. The first day was wind and snow ... and right at the freezing point so by mid-day you were soked and cold, but still fun. The second day was a scare at first. Timberline closed due to wind and it looked bad for Hood too, but then the temps dropped up top and since there were even less people than on Monday, we had all this lovely fresh all to ourselves. :D

Here's a shot with one of my friends. I can't tell you how often somone commented or asked about the board. I actually started to get sick of it lol.

Kind of hard to go back to eastcoast hardpack/ice but in a way, cruzing the fresh with the OSin and riding the hardpack on my other board seems almost like two different sports. Still want to got back to Meadows again though. With cascade express and vista closed, I feel like I have yet to experience the mountain's true potential.

Clickable thumbnail, Tuesday mid-day:

th_MtHood_Jan9-10_06.jpg

MtBachelor planned for '08. :biggthump

I was up at Meadows on monday also on a Tanker 192 . It was first time back since snowcating in BC (quite a difference). MtHood has gotten alot of snow recently and the base has really filled in now. We keep getting big storms that start out slightly above freezing then cools off and snows hard after the cold front come through. We get all kinds of snow from sleet to cement to fairly light pow and even bullet ice . Its going to be an awesome april and may up at T-Line this year :)

Jim

Cool, tried to keep my eye out for other hardbooters. Saw one guy on a Virus, but he didn't seem to be BOL so I didn't ask.

Yeah, really wanted to experience Tline on a clear day. Oh well, yet another reason to visit my friend again. :D

Hopefully you'll have better luck with the weather next time. And drop us a line anytime, and we'll try to hook up and show you some great terrain. Not the really secret stuff, of course, but good. Its been a roller coaster of conditions since you left. I've been lucky hitting some great mornings at Ski Bowl. Even today it was epic light powder then around 11:30 the freezing level jacked up to mixed rain and snow. It was good while it lasted. I've been avoiding the Meadows crowds in the last week for sure. The rat race to the goods gets old fast.

Seriously, anyone, let us know when you're in the area. :biggthump

Ed

Well its funny, in a way I got spoiled that second day since there was basically no one out. I guess Monday being so bad and the inital conditions for Tuesday being worse scared most everone off. Will be kind of odd actually having to genuinely look out for other riders lol.

Ah, the secret stuff... shot me any email of where (based on the trail map) I want to check out, would you? Well, maybe not your best secrets, I know, but maybe the quasi-secrets. :D

• 8 months later...

DrCR, sorry I missed you! I was probably on a Rad-Air Tanker with plates.

The storms bring the snow of course , so it is a mixed bag. Please visit again with your new helmet!! Bryan

Photo Galleries of the area Or "See what you missed" , new galleries will only be posted on the www.finelineclub.com site this coming year.

Glad you made the best of it. You know, I saw a fair number of swallowtails this year. However, if I saw you on plates, I hollered, guarantied !!!

Making do with WV this year, though looking forward to a Mt.Bachelor potential in '08 with my same friend. Looks like I'll be able to demo a few boards from Donek this year though which I'm totally stoked about and really thankful to Sean for. Mt.Hood is definitly on the list though. Currently still a poor uni student. :o

Looking at some of your photos, I really feel like I truely have yet to experience the mountain's true potential and just simply the sheer thrill. It being so cloudly, I didn't get to experience the awesome sight of the mountain while on the road. It probably would have freaked out my little southeastcoaster mind lol.

aab.thumb.jpg

Bryan. Date.

I know what you are thinking? Bryan lost it, done the unthinkable and posted on a thread from Jan? Yes, No. DrCR was posting about the helmet with a link to this. So, I used it to say I am sorry I missed him BACK THEN>

Thanks for helping to keep thing straight :biggthump

Mmm , I don't think I have ever had those words leave my mouth. :confused: However, I would like to raise some extra cash, spending hours on auctions and then selling them at a loss is not a good way of doing that. So, back to buying :) I am better suited to that. I like to think of myself as more of a spreader than a vacuum :)

Making do with WV this year, though looking forward to a Mt.Bachelor potential in '08 with my same friend. Looks like I'll be able to demo a few boards from Donek this year though which I'm totally stoked about and really thankful to Sean for. Mt.Hood is definitly on the list though. Currently still a poor uni student. :o

Looking at some of your photos, I really feel like I truely have yet to experience the mountain's true potential and just simply the sheer thrill. It being so cloudly, I didn't get to experience the awesome sight of the mountain while on the road. It probably would have freaked out my little southeastcoaster mind lol.

aab.thumb.jpg

That photo came out pretty trippy. Had to post it , even though it was only due to poor photography. Bachelor is often dryer snow and sunnier, however it can get down right nasty too, high winds, lots of exposure. Be warned. Wish you the best of luck. Shout out before you arrive. Bryan

I like to think of myself as more of a spreader than a vacuum :)

spreader?

yeah...I guess spreading them around your garage/house/shed qualifies you as a spreader. Kinda like Dryer is a spreader, eh?

heh.

I really don't thing snowboards is a profitable avenue anymore...especially not used alpine unless they're high-end, and even then mostly you're gonna find guys that think anything more than $100 is a ripoff. not like I'm some big spender!