Note to New Members ×

PTC Tune??

eaglez

There has been alot of talk about the benefits of a PTC tune and that they are the best tuners anywhere. Does anyone know of a comparable shop in Ontario. I just don't see that sending a board to Eastern US is money well spent if someone has the expertise and machinery to do it locally. Surely there are ski racers or boarders that need that same level of tuning all over the world. Are they all sending to PTC???

Thanks

Darren :biggthump

Guest jschal01

I'm sure PTC does a great tune and is well worth the money. But I do wonder what the people who rely on them do to keep their edges sharp, etc. throughout the season, though -- those beautiful edges are only going to stay sharp for a few days, they may want to try different bevels, etc. If you go to a fine enough diamond stone to finish your sharpening, even after a few beers before tuning efforts begin you're still going to have an edge that's pretty darn sharp, it's not rocket science. So, basically it mkes sense to learn to do edges and waxing, at very least, yourself.

Reliable Racing, Tognar, etc. are all great places for your own tuning gear and information. Tognar is my personal favorite due to selection and info on the site itsefl. Dominator and Swix have great info on their sites for waxing.

Thanks, I took my WCR to Gates and Boards yesterday to get the structure, edges and wax done. I know Squire Johns does good work too but heard that G&B can hold their own as well and they are right in town. George, the tech there, seemed to have the same answers that I found after extensive searching online regarding tuning.

We will see.

Darre :biggthump n

Everyone has different ideas about tuning. On CBC yesterday thaey had a supposed "tuning expert" talk about snowboard tuning. He said, "with wax, it's just layers and layers, the more the better"...really helpful dude!

PTC doesn't just give you a tune that never goes dull etc., we all know that is impossible, but Mike does do the best base prep around to make your tuning from that point on as easy and variation free as possible. You get the best structure I've ever seen to alow for the best wax application and retention, freedom from suction against wet snow, and a fully polished base (i.e. no microhairs like some grinders leave = SLOW). Your base will be PERFECTLY flat EVERYWHERE - which I will bet money will not be the case if a board is ground with the bindings still attached. Your edges will be beveled exactly to spec and if you talk to Ray Yusi (www.alpineskituning.com)about his tools and theory to easily and repeatably maintain those bevels, they will STAY that way.