Note to New Members ×

Zylon (by Virus) VS Titanal

groovastic

Zylon is an Aramid fiber. (In the Kevlar family) and is used primarily in a weave to create a cloth. It is super light, super strong, and very stable under severe temperature ranges. By itself - a thread - it is pretty useless. It needs to be woven into a sheet or cloth or wound about a mandrel and bonded with epoxy to take advantage of its strength.

Titanal is a metal - in the 7000 series aluminum alloy family - and is used in sheets or strips in strategic locations in board construction.

There are thousands of way’s to lay up pieces of Titanal in a board and this is an art form in itself.

As far as I know, Virus is the only board manufacturer to utilize Zylon in board construction. It is super expensive and difficult to work with. It is very sexy though. (I have a Zylon board)

So, there is no real way to draw any direct comparisons between the two materials. Never mind the myriad of ways that both materials can be applied to a board.

As much as I've read, Titanal is praised for it's great performance in both, very soft and very hard, icey snow.

But what would be pros of a Zylon? Is it it's strength and stability in severe temperature ranges? Is it worth the money?

In fact, is Titanal worth the money?

Thanks again

"Worth the Money" is a tough one. To whom? Obviously worth the money to some, Frank sells quite a few Zylon boards. He also puts Titanal in to some of his boards, depending on the needs of the rider, and sells a number of those too.

It would be more appropriate to focus on what board would be best for you considering your experience, level of riding, type of riding, weight and even how much you want to spend. Take all of this info to Sean, Chris, Bruce, Frank or Mike (Tinkler) and they will make you a board, or at least recommend what would work best for you in your price range.

Some boards are sold to people that just want the bling factor of Zylon or Titanal or whatever, those people have the funds to fulfill their wishes, and don't even pay much attention to if it's "worth it", they just want it.

Worst case you ask us what you should buy and we all start arguing, or telling you that what we're selling is the best for you - boy I've seen that here quite a few times. :nono:

All are good but I have seen another man's Junk is another man's treasure! (boy does that sound gay!) :1luvu:

What I mean is I have some boards that I don't like or just can't get them to work for me, but then my buddy rides it and swears by it..

It took a while but now I can pretty much know what will work for me and what I like.. most won't like what I get..but it works for me.. Tailoring a board to the individual is definently the way to go..like moldable boot liners that fit like a glove..

There is always good stock stuff. and at times can't tell the difference depending on conditions..

I know those guys listed are good at interpreting what people are looking for..

Buy about 4 or 5 customs try em out see what ya like..its only money.. Retire in reverse is what I say!!

Right Said Shred

Thanks guys!

In fact I don't know what Zylon is used for, and if I understood what I read, Titanal is used to improve board's acting in all kinds of conditions.

Curently I have one Nidecker (it's a short one) and a Coiler RaceCarve. But since in my part of the world the snow conditions vary a lot (one week snow can be very soft, and another it's all ice), I can't use my Coiler on fresh snow, so I have to use a Nidecker, but then I don't get enough edgehold for wider turns. So I am in a search for a board that would act nearly as good in icey conditions as in fresh or wet snow.

I guess titanal would help (nevermind the the proportions of the board). And Zylon has nothing to do with it, right? Zylon is for hard-core racers only if I understood well.

Sory for my bad english and complicated sentences :o

Thanks again