Note to New Members ×

Indy or Head Stratus Pro???

Guest micks32

Guest micks32

I'm in the market for a new set of boots. My AF600's are starting to feel really soft, feeling a bit of heel lift, like, sensation that I don't at all care for. I'm 6'3" and 185+ lbs. I just got back into racing gates this season after 2 yrs off, and ride a 160cm Proton for SL, 173 Factory Prime and a 180 BS for GS and have a 196 Donek for Super G. I'm currently competing in USASA masters events SL and GS. I'm leaning toward the Heads due to buckel design, but all and any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Mick

Mick-

I have used the raichle af 700 for 3 years, switched last year to ride the head stratus pro for nationals, and started off again this year on the stratus pros. the lower cuff had me folding the boot, and i'm only 5'7". after 5 days on snow this season, i switched back to the af 700, and BINGO! Home again. I'll personally never go with the Head again simply b/c the cuff is way low, the toe box is stingy (narrow) and the flex is too stiff for racing. this boot may be a great carving boot if the fit was generous, but for racing, i'd stick to the af 700 or the INDY. Hope this helps.

-

Neil

Guest Randy S.

Its funny. My experience was just the opposite of Neil's. I'm 5'10" and around 200lbs. I'm not the greatest racer, but I do like to try to charge hard sometimes. I also love speed.

I found the AF series Raichles never fit me well and always had flex issues. Instep buckles would pop open when flexed hard. I think that boot just doesn't fit me well was the basis for the problems. I have a size 10 wide foot. The Heads fit perfectly. I run the stiffer tongue with the stock liner and I'm considering making two other changes. I may change out the stock power strap for a pair of real booster straps. I had those on my old UPS's and really liked them. The other is adding the ACSS gizmo that Arnaud built. Not sure if I'll love the ACSS, but we'll see. I find it very difficult to fold them over in their current config. I also ride them off-piste and in powder (in walk mode).

I've mentioned this in other threads, but the buckles on the Heads absolutely rule! The only way they could improve them would be to reverse the direction of the lower two buckles like on AT boots. That would keep the buckles from opening when hiking in deeper snow / postholing. The instep buckle has an awesome flip-out lever that allows it to be closed with lots of force with just 1-2 fingers. I hated the ratchet buckles on the Raichle/Deeluxe boots. UPS had better buckles, but I wore through them on my rear foot.

I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Edit: I just read the list of boards you have. My quiver is very similar. 163 Volkl RT SL board, Donek 171 FC1 (every day rider and tighter GS courses), 184 Coiler RC (GS and speed days), 178 O-Sin Powder Board, 210 Donek Race for super speed days and SG. Hmmm. I get to ride tomorrow (Friday) and it should be all buffed out by the groomers. I think I need to go mount some bindings on the 210! Yummm. :1luvu: