Note to New Members ×

Mondays at Tyrol

Strider

Well, the fee is for the season. We have 7 race nights and 2 practice nights and the cost is $65. Our team cost is generally a bit higher because we buy shirts or fleeces or something with our logo each year. No helmets reguired. We start at 7 each Monday night, and are usually in the bar getting our gear on before the race, and after celebrating. Stop on out sometime and ride as a guest if you want. Just ask for Brett and the "Dead Sexy" team and someone will point you in our direction. We do still have room for one more racer on our team as well.

Hope to see you out there sometime.

Are you involved with that series? How well run is it? Number of competitors? I am thinking a bringing a couple/three racers (11 and 14) from Minneapolis......would love some good competition and runs. Is there a snowboard team at Tyrol that concentrates on racing?

Thanks

Matt

I don't run USASA much anymore due to the cost, but I usually forerun the courses for the guys who set the gates. It is actually run by the same guys who do our NASTAR and Monday night leagues. They are skiers, but work very well with the boarders and set good courses. There has traditionally been a good turnout for these races, but most of the younger competitiors are on soft setups. The snow is average here, but the event should be fun. They will reset the snowboard gates for NASTAR once the USASA stuff is done as well and you can do unlimited runs for $10.

Tyrol's team is good and dedicated, but they concentrate a lot on the freestyle events. The real young ones (under 13) are really starting to get interested in the racing. It's hard to say waht the competitoion will be like, but there are some great riders who will still be in soft setups.

They will definitely be using snowboard gates. There is a good chance that the really young kids won't have any hardbotters in their division, b ut I can say from past experience that there have been some riders that are so good they push us hardbooters even on their softies. Tyrol tends to draw from a large area down here for these events so there may be some Illinois kids on hardboots, but you never know. If you guyus make it down I will try to come out and see you on Sunday, but its my niece's b-day so it might be tricky to get the needed permissions :smashfrea

I had a lot of fun today at Tyrol. Conditions were nice .... bit icey. It was good to meet Jess, Rich, and some other nice people:) I really like the lounge:) great atmosphere:) If Tyrol B. was any closer I'd be a regular:)

Definatly try to make it next sunday, and try to race for the first time:) (too bad I can be there for monday nights:((

-matt

Just got back..........a long ride to the Cities.....but a very fun day. I brought my son (Patrick 14) and another G Team rider (Hunter 12).....they really enjoyed themselves. They liked the laid back feel and structure (translated they liked that they could go early and not have to wait for the little kids!) They just couldn't figure out the NASTAR handicap system. Patrick got a 24 handicap last week at Keystone on ski gates and today he got a 37 on snowboard gates....even though he thought he had a better run. Having skiers on the course was also a first for them. They complained about the deep ruts as time went on created by the skiers....I reminded them that the skiers say the same thing about carving boards. :)

Everbody was very friendly and the atmosphere was enjoyable. The temperature was awesome. The effort shown by the racing staff and the USASA staff was admirable. We felt very welcome. Brent - thanks for introducing yourself....the kids enjoyed chatting with you...but have no intention of letting you win the money next time! :)

Think that next time we will skip the awards ceremony and have the medals mailed....couldn't hear anything.....but very glad to see so many kids getting recognized.

You guys have a fun hill with great people.....hopefully we can make it next week again.

Matt

www.thegteam.net

HEy guys,

Glad to hear that everyone there had a good time. I know the handicap thing can throw people for a loop, especially at Tyrol. We have a very dedicated racing staff and they are also extremely fast. This makes it harder to get a decent handicap against them,as they also never "take a run off." The courses they set can be quite difficult for the size of the hill, and they are all great technical skiers so they tend to nail it every time when they paceset. I also know that some places don't always paceset with their actual pacesetter everytime so the handicaps can get skewed. I consistently run 5-7 handicap points better out west than I do here at my home hill, even when I nail the run here. It can be frustrating, but it always makes me feel good about my chances when I run against other people at different events becasue I know that it is damn hard to get a decent handicap here.

This can be frustrating to people who have never ridden here, but it can also help with the copmpetitive spirit, as in " I wanna kick that pacesetters ass this week."

I'll be at Copper this week, so won't make the races, but hopefully we'll be able to hook up at one of the events soon.\

Brett