Note to New Members ×

Come in, Cindy Kleh

skatha

Hey, my skiing hubby broke his tibia in a car wreck 11/29 and had surgery 12/9 to plate it.

We have our yearly March snow trip 3/6-3/10. If he can walk, it will be very gingerly. I think two-legged skiing would be out, but I told him I'd ask about alternatives.

Any suggestions???

And, since we are having 70 degree winter temps here in Helltown, we definitely need a snow fix :smashfrea

The wait list for lessons is very long for NSCD. I suppose he could do outriggers and one ski but if he reinjures that bad leg, no bueno.

My knees aren't cooperating this winter and I've thought of sit-skiing just to see what it's like. I've ended up doing more backcountry instead. More hiking and less turns seems to be kinder, but it bums me out to be lame during the best snow season in two decades. How come there's no smiley face of a chick putting a gun to her head when her next door neighbor comes over (again) with a dripping snowboard to tell her how sick it was? ====>

cindy, did u write up an article of disabled skiing with ruth demuth of vail two years ago in vail daily ?

also, i advise against disabled skiing/snowboard. i speak from experience -- broken fibula AND tibula. the big one from hardbooting on 184 hauling ass in the back bowl, and the little one from skateboarding. so, it would hurt ALOT more had he bang it up. dont want it be a permanent "disabled"

I have only taught adaptive snowboarding although I've done alot of research on adaptive skiing. There are many instances where snowboarding is a better alternative than skiing and can mean the difference between a sitting or standing stance. Those with uneven length or functioning of legs do better on a board. One-legged skiing would be awkward if you actually had the entire leg because it would drag or get caught in the snow.

Adaptive snowboarding is exciting because it's still in the process of being invented. Wish I could figure out how to copy and paste a pic in Photoshop but this guy, Adam Hall, is on the New Zealand Paralympic Ski Team. He competed in the USASA Nationals in all five events because he grew up riding and loves it more than skiing, but alas, he had to choose skiing because adaptive competitive snowboarding is not at the Paralympic level yet. He was born with MD and uses outriggers with his snowboard.

I wish I had been able to film the USASA Nationals Boardercross finals. Six men, women and one kid (with cerebral palsy in a sit ski with a skier/guide behind) charged it like the X Games. It gave me chicken skin.

If your hubby is not healed enough to ski or ride you could always rent some snowmobiles and cruise around on those to get your snow fix. I think you mentioned in another post that you are coming to Tahoe? I have not done it but I hear that some of the snowmobile tours are a bunch of fun and will get you up on the ridge tops above the lake with some incredible views.

Houston is Helltown-where else can you live in one of the most smoggiest, hurricame prone and tornadically active cities in the US?

Funny someone mentions snowmobiling, He did that with my dad up "chicken hill" in RMNP last year-opted to not follow my dad's tracks up a hill, caught a thin crusty layer and flipped the snowmobile on top of him. He's not allowed to snowmobile now :nono:

I think we are for sure doing a snowcat tour....

We were going to Tahoe this year, hadn't made the reservations prior to the accident....