Note to New Members ×

Splitboard

SITO

Guest Zach Davis

Sito,

Splitboards are awesome tools.... I've had the chance to test just about every shape on teh market, and they're all fantastic. Just like any other board, they each have a specific application.

In general, I use a splitboard for powder days in the backcountry, and that's about it. On most days, I'll go with approach skis and a light, solid board on my back. Here's why:

1. In powder, NOTHING breaks trail like a splitboard (wider platform).

2. In powder, I want a longer board (heavy on my back).

3. In conditions other than powder, I like the light, solid feel of a real board under my feet.

4. Approach skis are fine if not better (better edge hold and manueverability) than splitboards in most conditions.

5. With a lightweigth (shorter) solid board on my back and lightweight approack skis on my feet, I feel lighter than with a heavy splitboard on my feet.

For the most part, you can get away with just a splitboard, but I'm a little picky. Also, I do notice that with hard boots, the difference between a splitboard and a solid board is much more pronounced.

Zach

Guest Randy S.

Hey Zach,

Do you run SB hardboots or AT boots? Do you have both? If so, do you run the SB boots on solid boards and AT boots on splits?

I have approach skis and find them useless in deep snow. I'd love to have a split if they weren't so darned expensive. I love the looks of the Prior ATV split. It looks like it could do pow and still carve, plus it doesn't have a crazy wide waist (which I find to be a pain most of the time).

Want to bring some splits to Alpine Meadows on a pow day? Or take me backcountry somewhere?

Guest Zach Davis

Randy,

I've actually never used SB hardboots, just AT boots.... I'm planning on it this winter, at some point.

What kind of approach skis do you use? I'm working on collapsables. The prototypes are almost ready, and I'll be "testing" them thouroughly all winter. Also, Donek is getting closer to making splits... if you're interested, give them a call. Any prodding helps.

Believe it or not, I don't have a single, splitboard right now... I sold the one I had last year, because it was just too wide for hard boots, and now I'm waiting on a Donek 168 Incline that we're going to put a split kit on.

You can always call The Backcountry, in Truckee. They have a pretty good selection and will demo most of them. Just drop me a line if you want to go for a tour.

Zach

Guest Randy S.

Zach, I have Kong approach skis. I've only used them once and was so disappointed that I haven't taken them out since. They have bindings that can either lock down or freeheel like AT skis.

I'll have to talk with Sean about splits when I have a little more spare cash. Our house is in Tahoe-Donner so I go by Backcountry in Truckee all the time (Wild Cherries is our favorite breakfast stop).

If we have the same size feet, I'd love to try swapping boots one day. I haven't ridden in AT boots since I got my first SB boots back in the early 90's. I used to ride in Dynafit Tourlites. I would break a set of tongues every season or two and Dynafit would send me new ones. They were awesome boots for hiking up Tuckerman Ravine in NH. Actually I bet I could rent AT boots at Backcountry and then just mount standard bails on my TD2s.

I'll ping you when I'm more healthy and have some time (probably in January/February).

Randy