Note to New Members ×

physics/speed physics

jdgang

Just got a pair of physics binding that a bought here on BOL. To my surpise in the box where the parts for the front hooks to turn the into the speed physics. anybody have any comments/problems/or reviews of the these....first thing I noticed after retrofitting my boots with them that there is no side to side slop...any comments would be appreciated

If you have the full Physics set-up, it is bullet-proof, heavy, and unforgiving, but you are correct, there is absolutely NO slop. Most riders, including me, just don't like anything that stiff or heavy for carving and jumping, but for shorter race events, the Physics would probably be ideal. When I did ride the Physics, I rode with the front toe bail. It's a matter of individual preference, but get ready for the stiffest, most unforgiving interface...

the setup came with both....didnt know about the speed when I bought them...thanks for the input....and you put my mind at ease with the term bullet proof...I didnt really know how they worked until I saw them...didnt think friction could be such a friend.

Just got a pair of physics binding that a bought here on BOL. To my surpise in the box where the parts for the front hooks to turn the into the speed physics. anybody have any comments/problems/or reviews of the these....first thing I noticed after retrofitting my boots with them that there is no side to side slop...any comments would be appreciated

Mine broke 3 times. It wasn't the hook, it was the two bolts that hold the hooks to the base. :mad: Anyway, speed physic was great but TD was much rigid to me than speed hooks. Hope you like them. They do work pretty well if you don't have problem with heels(they tend to stuck with binding if there is snow in between your heels and binding.) Goodluck

I rode physics for two seasons and loved the "no slop" feel of the system. Really liked the bail less toe set up.

Do watch them carefully for stress cracks. I tore them off my board leaving the disc attached to the board and the body of the binding attached to my boot at full throttle. Luckily, I came out of it unhurt, but just thinking about it give me the willys.

I really like the solid feel of the Speed Physics interface - no lateral slop at all between boot and binding. I like using the softer elastomers that came with the bindings to soak up vibrations - the color changed between different model years. The Speed Hook option is also nice in that it gives you a visual indicator of the correct amount of forward pressure on the hooks via the lateral hole in the receiver. That way, you know that the heel receiver is in the right place, as well - not as much guessing as with the toe bail.

As far as durability, I've spread out the last four seasons on three sets of bindings and one set of heels and Speed hooks, and haven't had a problem with anything - baseplates, cables, rings, nothin'. Maybe I've been lucky. I also believe that using the fixed 7 degree cant/lifts front and back, using aluminum versus plastic disks, and frequently checking the tightness of the biding screws has decreased the amount the plastic in the baseplates can deflect and develop stress risers (or whatever they're called in plastic).

Unfortunately, when my Winds wear out, so will my opportunity to use the Speed hooks. Anyone know of a way to retro fit them onto other brands of boots? UPZ boots make the most sense because of their replaceble sole blocks, but maybe it can be done with boots that have replaceable toe pads as well. And while we're at it, does anyone have a photo of the physics toes and heels mounted to Catek baseplates? I would love to mount this interface on a more robust and adjustable platform.

Hope this helps.

Eddie

If you have the full Physics set-up, it is bullet-proof, heavy, and unforgiving, but you are correct, there is absolutely NO slop. Most riders, including me, just don't like anything that stiff or heavy for carving and jumping, but for shorter race events, the Physics would probably be ideal. When I did ride the Physics, I rode with the front toe bail. It's a matter of individual preference, but get ready for the stiffest, most unforgiving interface...

Heavy???? Bullett-proof???????? Ideal for shorter race events?????? Huh?

Here's my comment, the Physics are a OK binding set up. I personally ditched the speed hook set-up. It's a good idea, but for me it was too stiff. Also I seemed to break less boots riding with the bail option. If you have the ones with a simi-clear blue base plate DO NOT ride them, the plastic is very weak and WILL break. If you have these contact me I have extra black plastic baseplate covers that are much stronger. If you choose to ride with the speed hooks be carefull on snowy days, make sure both sides of the hook is engaged while stepping in.

On a side note if there are any Physics riders out there that need parts or extra bindings. I have tons of stuff. I've recently been thinking about selling all my physics stuff and getting a pair of F2 bindings. I have several complete bindings and extra parts I'd be willing to let go for the right price which wouldn't be that much.

Heavy???? Bullett-proof???????? Ideal for shorter race events?????? Huh?

Here's my comment, the Physics are a OK binding set up. I personally ditched the speed hook set-up. It's a good idea, but for me it was too stiff. Also I seemed to break less boots riding with the bail option. If you have the ones with a simi-clear blue base plate DO NOT ride them, the plastic is very weak and WILL break. If you have these contact me I have extra black plastic baseplate covers that are much stronger. If you choose to ride with the speed hooks be carefull on snowy days, make sure both sides of the hook is engaged while stepping in.

On a side note if there are any Physics riders out there that need parts or extra bindings. I have tons of stuff. I've recently been thinking about selling all my physics stuff and getting a pair of F2 bindings. I have several complete bindings and extra parts I'd be willing to let go for the right price which wouldn't be that much.

I do have the boots (Winds) that are the clear blue plastic baseplates..email me at jdgang@gmail.com for those other bottoms and replacement parts. I did see another pair of Winds (black/red) on ebay today....have to ask the wife I have not decided yet which to use bails or speed. I was going to try them both. As for snowy days I was most likely going to switch back to my race plates or bails/physic...Thanks for all the input guys it seems that they are not a bad setup and since I am not that aggresive or big they should last a few season until I can get bombers/cateks

I'm not ready to give up any of my boot parts yet. Are the base plate on the bindings the clear blue plastic? The wind and fire boots that were simi clear are ok to ride, they are a little more brittle when super cold out, but not a safty concern. If your bindings have the clear blue base plates let me know.

I had physics race. Rode them for some 20 days and then sold them as I wanted to move to regular bindings (got cateks).

Didn't have any problem with the physics and passed them on to another carver who has been riding it for a season and half now with no problems again.

I've been riding the speed physics since they first came on the market (97?). Before that I was riding TD1. On a nice groomed course TD1's rule but the bumpier it gets, the less forgiving they are (hence the TD2).

The speed physics are stiff and direct but more forgiving than TD1's,that's what I liked about them and still do, stiff but forgiving and good dampening. In all the years I rode them there was only one series that sucked, the transparant blue with red. The plastic was too hard and just broke,leaving the centerdisc alone on the board. Only recently I broke on my oldest set one of the screws that holds the speed hook on the baseplate, check those every nog and then just to be sure.

Bottomline, I love them and will ride them for some time and since there will be new 'Burton' hardboots the only part that made me worry (no more speedhook ready boots) is solved as well!

I'm not ready to give up any of my boot parts yet. Are the base plate on the bindings the clear blue plastic? The wind and fire boots that were simi clear are ok to ride, they are a little more brittle when super cold out, but not a safty concern. If your bindings have the clear blue base plates let me know.

Nope they are a solid red color with the alum. base...Thank for the tip...cant wait to ride them this year..