Note to New Members ×

Sidecut radii for snowboard mountaineering. Board advice?

Guest huevon

Hey guys, looking for some equipment expertise here...

I pretty much exclusively ride backcountry mountains in the Cascades, where there is a long season and the snow conditions are often pretty firm. A lot of the best lines are 45+ degree faces that more often than not are frozen, and hard to keep an edge on when you can't just bomb down on GS turns. I'm certain that part of the edging issue is due to the really short turning radii of most snowboards, usually less than 9 meters. (By comparison, most skis generally have turn radii greater than 20 meters--and not surprisingly hold an edge like a dream.)

groomerhell.JPG

It's a non-issue soft snow, obviously. In the picture above I'm fine in a few inches of power. But just above that spot, was several-hundred feet of pristine edge-repellent bulletproof hardpack, where I had a hell of a time staying in control. It's an issue of the center of the edge not engaging in hardpack because of too much sidecut. (ps. I ride in hardboots so it's not a power/leverage issue).

Just looking at an edge comparison between typical ski and snowboard edges there is a pretty huge difference. The short turn radius of the snowboard means that you're held up on the ends of the board, and the board has to flex a ****load before the edge underfoot ever gets a chance to engage.

edge_comparison.jpg

So, I wonder if anyone here could point me to some boards with longer turn radii? I see that some of the pure carving boards have attractively long turn radii, but I think they are too specialized and too narrow for backcountry. I would plan of getting the board converted to a splitboard...

I guess what I'd like to see is a twin-tipped board with dimensions something in the neighborhood of 27.5 nose, 24 waist, instead of the 30 nose 25.2 waist splitboard that I usually ride.

And yeah, I know that there are other things to do, like get stiffer plates, steeper stance angles, and a stiffer board. But first thing is the board.

thanks,

Justin

In the 168cm+ range, Prior's Backcountry splitboard has the radii you're looking for. Their boards are all designed and tested in the PNW, pretty much the same conditions you ride in. Give them a call and see what they think. If you want, they can make you a custom with a longer radius and a bit narrower.

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/boards_backcountry_splitboard.php

Not that I'm going to pretend to know much about it...

...but I do recall reading a while back that stephen koch uses a fairly short twin tip (a rome 151 if memory serves).

So I don't think sidecut depth is everything to edge hold... I'm betting that the way the board flexes, particularly torsional, has a pretty big impact as well. And a tight sidecut could be a lot of help when you need to make quick, slow speed turns in a steep chute or what have you.

Talk to prior, donek, coiler (when he's building again) about what you specific terrain and I bet you'll get something that blows your mind.

I think you're way better off turning, that helps your edges track... But sometimes you get that 'snow' that feels like steep pavement, and it feels like you can't carve anymore, because if you did, you'd build up speed waaay to fast and there would be no way to stop if you had to.

There are a lot of lines that I don't feel comfortable trying because they're almost always hardpack/icy and I'm pretty sure my edges would slip out. On the other hand most of the skiers I know are perfectly comfortable on their edges, and never have that slipping problem.

Oh I wish I had some bomber bindings... right now I'm using some Voile splitboard plates, which actually for how light they are (extremely), perform pretty well.

I'm a big fan of a longer sidecut on a board for really steep terrain. My personal freeride reference shape is a 168 with a 24.8 waist and 11m sidecut with an effective edge of 136cm. I really feel like this gives me excellent edge hold on the steeps when it gets nasty. (I ride in the PNW too, so I share your pain :)) If you can find a splitboard with a sidecut radius up in that range in the length you're after then I'd think you'd be pretty happy. I'd offer to make you one, but I don't build splitboards yet...

Guest Zach Davis

Huevon,

Prior made me a 165 MFR with a 24.5cm waist, for my Denali trip.... It was bitchin' on the steeps. 9.5 meter sidecut radius, seemed about perfect.

This year, I'm hoping to take a few rides on the ATV 167... maybe look at the 161 with a slightly wider waist and less sidecut. I'm hoping that the lack of a tail will make it feel a little longer.

The main idea is to go as short as you can stand (to save weight) and to have a relatively straight sidecut. 9.5 meters seems just right in the 165 range.

BTW - Koch's board is incredibly short, and it's got about 9.5 meters of sidecut. He's a freak about shaving pounds... and, he also seems to be able to ride unnaturally short boards for his size. Rome is producing his board (this year, I believe); the Koch Rocket.

Also, consider going with aproach skis and a solid board for true mountaineering. HOPEFULLY, there will be some collapsible approach skis on the market within the next year or two

Zach