Note to New Members ×

OT: Approach ski binding set up question

Dave*

I picked up a set of Karhu kruiser approach skiis this past winter however the binding set up is designed for soft boots, I figured I would just mount a set of plates on the articulating arm, however this caused them to be much too nose heavy ( center gravity way back) so front tip always dragging/catching in back yard on snow tests, of course I didnt really think of this when I bought them.

Project was put on hold until this week as I got bored and found a source of some 3/16 inch 6061 t6 aluminum to make an adaptor plate to shift CG to where it need to be and just using the hardware from a garbaged split board that was given to me for parts. The board itself is toast and I do not want to cut up another to remount the hardware.

The question is should I be aiming for a dead center CG, slightly nose heavy, slightly tail heavy, or very tail heavy,

Kind of hard to tell what I need tromping around on living room carpet with my cutting board(easy to drill n cut) prototype mounting plate adaptors, need to know before applying drill to aluminum.

My gut feeling says slightly tail heavy for approach skiis.

Input appreciated.

thanks

Dave*

Guest Zach Davis

Dave,

There are a few fairly easy, kind of off-the-shelf solutions:

1. Naxo bindings or Frischi Freerides... both come with mounting templates that should make it fairly easy to set up. You can estimate the toe position (in touring mode) by making a mark with a marker, before you remove the old bindings.

2. Dynafit bindings... this will only work, if you have Dynafit compattible AT boots, or you are able to add Dynafit toe mounts to your existing boots. My advice is to go to a boot-fitter/fabricator who is familiar with the equipment, if you want to retrofit non-dynafit boots.

3. Mount a touring bracket from a Voile splitboard kit (Again using the previous binding position as a judge), then mount your plate bindings on the Voile slider plate.... better yet, buy Fin's splitboard bindings and mount them on the slider plate (save weight)

Zach

Guest Randy S.

If you give up, I have a set of approach skis that I'll sell. They have a binding with a sliding CG so you can set it where you like it, or lock down the heel so you can turn. I think the idea is to set it so the tail falls down when you lift your foot.

Have placed drill to metal and finished the project, I ended up going just slightly tail heavy (like a snowshoe) and left enough fore/aft to drill more holes for a neutral CG or nose heavy which I dont think I will need.

Basically a rectangular plate that bolts onto the skis three snowboard style inserts, to that plate I have T bolted the voile split board binding attachment plates,Race Plates on top of those, this seems to work pretty well on the living room carpet. A set of telescoping poles and we are golden.

The stock mounting hardware has been placed in the parts bin, just couldnt get it to work with the plate binders.

Dave*