Note to New Members ×

The AASI manual and carving...

brodster_57

I have been into carving for about 5 years now and have been through my USSA Level 1 Racing Clinic. This is my first year instructing true beginners, so we are doing our AASI certs. I think the program is wonderful and the AASI manual is so far the best General book to snowboarding I have seen. However my own experience and research (especially some of the info right here on Bomber) seems to have its differences. I do understand that the AASI book is a general snowboarding guideline and Bomber focuses on hardboot high angled carving, but the same techniques can and should be used on soft boots and low angles as well. My question is that AASI lists two tpes of carving:1. Basic Carving and 2. Dynamic Carving. Their Basic carving seems to be a very basic Cross-Over technique and Dynamic Carving seems to be very similar to the cross-under techique. It seems like they over look any benefits of a GS style turn in everyday riding and consider Cross-Under as the "Real " way to carve. Has any else noticed? Please leave your thoughts because this is bothering me.

Guest dragonfly jones

There's the American way - psia aasi - the Canadian way, French style, Swiss, Austrian and German and on and on. The basics that each teach are things to build on. I taught snowboarding, raced snowboards and now coach racers, as long as the fundementals are in places, you can do lots, the manual talks about basic moves and as a coach and instructor you know that the cookie cutter approach is hardly the best to use all the time.

Each person has strengths and weaknesses, you improve the weakeness and accentuate the strengths, by asking smart questions and listening to the student and then tailor to touch, feel or visual learning styles. Don't fuss over the book, use the best, work the middle, and improve on the weakness and you should be able to work with and for anyone, make sure that you listen - really listen to what your riders are saying, get them some miles doing the basics, get them to come back, and learn more, your teacher coach and mother confessor - one of the most thankless jobs - but also one of the most satisfying when someone gets it and sky rockets to success.

Did that make any sense?

DragonFly

Guest Pre School Rider

Oh,yeah,I've noticed! Consider the source of that book. It comes from Skiers who Snowboard.Yes,it's pretty good,all things considered.But you won't find much that explains the advantages of higher binding angles,or the real advantage hardshells have in working the board's flex along it's length.Heck,it took a few years to convince some that a board could be,let alone Should Be,torsionally twisted to increase it's performance.At least the 'hand-drag-stop' is gone,and snowboaders are 'Riders',not Snowboard-Skiers as Sherm would've called us.So the 'cross-under' and 'cross-over' turns are about as technical as you'll find,which at least helps define whether a rider is flexing while riding,though maybe not exactly When,Where,or How the flexing moment is done. Things like Body Rotation are simply discouraged,rather than explained.Having sharpened,beveled edges (hey,can Cut your Gloves,Dude while hiking the Pipe!) is frowned upon,as is having a fast,or big,or square-tailed board. Riding Rails is now a "skill set",but please don't use a lesson that involves a 'progression' in skills to get there.Switch riding is going the other way when riding,as going 'fakie' would imply directionality in one's riding. I'm not even going to discuss what happens when you overpressure your outside edge in a turn... What is good is the four board performance concepts,and the two movements a rider can use to get things to work.It's a huge improvement on talking psychobabble like 'up-un-weighting',whatever that ever really meant.Another great teaching idea is T.I.D.,which puts a structure around the choreography that we use to make the board perform..So,look your manual over with a critical eye.There's good stuff in there,a few moments of common-sense,a rare spot of brilliancy,and a lot of skier-influenced baggage and a general tendency towards creating mediocre riders/instructors;but considering the commitee that put it together,hey,it's allright and does get the point across.

If you haven't already, check out the video. It is basic just like the manual, but the carving sessions may expand a little from the manual.

Hey PSR - where did you get the idea that progressions are frowned upon by AASI? I have never heard that.

I can't comment on your manual as I have never seen it, but in the Canadian systems, carving is taught multiple ways. In our 4 levels of Instructor certification, carving a turn is done the same way as sliding a turn, but with better edging and pressure control. This method is not used for racers. We then have 3 levels of Race Coaching certification that teach carving a different way. It all really depends on what you want to do.

I can already sense that I'm gonna get flamed for what I am about to say, but here goes. This was an interski year, where all the nations get together and share their techniques and methods. From what I have heard, the american system wasn't that well recieved. I can't comment personally, but this is what I've heard.

Guest bugaboo2

being a level II sb instructor, when taking my cert i do what the examiners want. its a different story when i teach. 99% of the time i teach on my plates, must be doing something right cause the students get it!:)