Note to New Members ×

NASTAR Nationals 2006 – plan on going!!!

patmoore

I just got back from Park City and wanted to ask all of you to consider participating next year in the NASTAR Nationals.

1,070 racers competed this year and only 31 of us were snowboarders. Only one age group had more than three participants so 30 of the boarders earned at least a Bronze Medal. One downside is that we have to run the GS courses with skier-type gates. I’ve spoken with Bill Madsen (the competition director) and discussed the idea of a separate course with snowboard-specific gates. He said that it would be feasible if we could get at least fifty snowboard racers.

From a purely selfish standpoint I’d like to see that happen. For the second year in a row I was the only contestant to wear two bibs. I had to be a quick-change artist with my skis, poles, and ski boots at the finish line (cold and stiff boots!!!). Even skipping my second board run (I was the only one in the 55-59 age group) I was still late for my starting time on skis. I finished 10th of 20 in the Expert Ski category and obviously won my age group on the board.

The venue moves to Colorado next year and the three contenders are Keystone, Copper, and Steamboat.

At the Eastern Regional Mountain Dew Finals, 300 of the 1000 present are snowboard racers. I can’t fathom why the turnout is so low at the NASTAR Nationals. It’s always a great event with plenty of giveaways and the chance to rub elbows with USST heroes. On four different occasions I had a chance to chat with Daron Rahlves. He was one of the pacesetters along with AJ KItt, Casey Puckett, Kristina Koznick, and Doug Lewis. Bill Madsen said that he would try to get Chris Klug to attend if our numbers warrant it.

If you’re unfamiliar with NASTAR, go to www.nastar.com and find a nearby mountain that participates. Registration is free. BTW, the Sunday Race of Champions is always a blast.

How many of you will join me next year? And if not, why not?

2ijd74

Pat Moore

NASTAR# MOO95