Note to New Members ×

Carving encounter - Bryan

BlueB

Bryan, if you are reading this:

Welcome to the DARK SIDE of snowboarding, and to our carving brotherhood!

You'll find friendly people and plenty of advice and information here.

Give us your story of the first day on alpine gear, please.

_

While testing the Hooger Booger last night at the Grouse Mountain, I saw another hardbooter from the chair lift. Alpine boards are rare enough around Vancouver, but this guy was using the ski poles!?!

I rushed like a mad man down the slope to catch up with the guy, and caught him as he was about to sit on the chairlift.

To cut the long story short, Bryan was on the alpine for the first time, and being skier for 35 years he thought that "training wheels" would serve him well on the first day. No wonder, considering that he was on a borrowed Lacroix 165 board (I don't think it was Skwal) with extremely narrow waist (looked like less than 18cm), lots of sc too, and very steep binding angles. I convinced him quickly that he'll progress quicker without poles. He tried "soft" gear before, and did not like it, mostly because of shallow angles. Told him about our site as well.

We were both delighted meeting someone else interested in carving, and probably will ride together again.

Boris

Hey Broz!

This is getting interesting! Maybe, after all, there are few people riding plates around Vancouver. I am normally at Cypress - I teach kids ski camp there. Closed there, I'll do few more runs at Grouse this year if the snow is to remain.

Drop me an email at [ boris at netsplash dot ca ], maybe we can arrange to ride together sometimes?

Boris

PS I would really like to look at your custom snowboards - had couple of ideas myself lately...

• 4 years later...
Bryan, if you are reading this:

Welcome to the DARK SIDE of snowboarding, and to our carving brotherhood!

You'll find friendly people and plenty of advice and information here.

Give us your story of the first day on alpine gear, please.

_

While testing the Hooger Booger last night at the Grouse Mountain, I saw another hardbooter from the chair lift. Alpine boards are rare enough around Vancouver, but this guy was using the ski poles!?!

I rushed like a mad man down the slope to catch up with the guy, and caught him as he was about to sit on the chairlift.

To cut the long story short, Bryan was on the alpine for the first time, and being skier for 35 years he thought that "training wheels" would serve him well on the first day. No wonder, considering that he was on a borrowed Lacroix 165 board (I don't think it was Skwal) with extremely narrow waist (looked like less than 18cm), lots of sc too, and very steep binding angles. I convinced him quickly that he'll progress quicker without poles. He tried "soft" gear before, and did not like it, mostly because of shallow angles. Told him about our site as well.

We were both delighted meeting someone else interested in carving, and probably will ride together again.

Boris

Boris,

I know who is riding the Lacroix 165. He is Keith Spence, an old time ski instructor at Grouse until now and occasionally ride alpine with poles. Last Saturday he hand me down his Lacroix 165 for a fair price as he finally gave up alpine since he had knee surgery last winter season so I convinced him that I will provide TLC on his board. Made in France, lots of camber still and flex is just about right for me. We are both about the same weight. It came with a binding with continously adjustable cant and a lift maybe 6 deg., not sure. Anyone who has specs for this board, please chime in. I mounted the binding with my Dynastar 163 that I will use for teaching and change angle easily for alpine style riding for it comes with a friendly single large screw at the centre similar to an old Wombat Bindings. I still have to try it myself one day. When I got it last Saturday, the runs are already in bad situation with lots of exposed mud/rock everywhere.

ruwi