Note to New Members ×

Ultra vs Factory Prime?

trucker

Don't know much else. Its yellow with red/orange. Not sure if that helps tell what year. Is 168 too big? I am 6'2" 215lbs. I used to ride the renntiger 173, but didn't love it. thought it was too soft, but also too long. I've been riding an old 166 Salomon FRS with cateks and I love that. A lot of snap. thx

Todd,

Others will chime in, but I think you are too big for a 168cm UP. Maybe a low 170's UP if they make one, or go with a Factory Prime with more stiffness, high 160's or low 170's.

I sold my 168cm UP because I didn't want to over power it at 185lbs.

Check out: The Carver's Almanac for more info than your brain can handle.

Good luck,

Hugh

I rode a 168 UP for 2 seasons when I first started (6'3", 200 lbs+). I thought it was good to learn on at the time. It sat idle for three years. I rode it last week (for some unkown reason) in the fresh snow we got in VT and folded the nose on the second run and almost broke my leg. I'd be cautious.

A 168 is not too big for someone your size. I find boards around 170 to be excellent daily drivers, longer decks for less crowded days.

I had both a UP and a FP. As someone stated above, the UP was very good for learning. It's not nearly as stiff as the FP and you don't have to ride it at as high speeds as the FP to turn it. After a while though (about a year), I gave up on the UP and rode the FP exclusively. As my confidence grew, I liked the responsiveness and stiffness of the FP and found the UP to chatter at high speed and not nearly as responsive. just my opinion.

I'm 6'1 and about 185-190. My FP is a 167 and my UP was in the upper 160's.