Note to New Members ×

BOL On The Road: Technology Rules!

SWriverstone

Being the techno-weanies that we are, Holly and I are checking out the latest BOL posts while driving through blowing snow on the New York state thruway. Gotta love technology! :)

We just checked the latest Ludlow forecast, and it doesn't look too bad for driving, so we should be okay. (Whoa! Holly... look out for that semi! They're blowing all over with these 40 mph gusts.)

So... who's going to be at the Okemo Base Lodge in the morning (Wednesday)? We'll be there around 8 AM.

Scott

PS. For you other techno-weanies, we're connected to the internet using a laptop and Holly's cell phone as a modem. Thanks Verizon Wireless!

...and I bet Verizon will thank you when they send you the next bill.

I gave up on the internet access on my cell phone after the bills came in... ...or are you one of those lucky guys who's company pays the cell phone bill?

Guest Randy S.

I have a friend who drives to Tahoe every weekend with his kids. His cabin in Tahoe doesn't have cable modem or dsl available. So he has a Verizon Wireless data card in one laptop. What's really cool is the way he sets it up (both in car and in his cabin).

One laptop has the data modem in it. Fed off that is a linksys Wifi router (powered by an inverter in the car). At the cabin it looks like a pretty normal wifi hotspot. What's cool is that his car becomes a mobile WiFi hotspot. Each of the older kids have their own laptops (5 laptops total, counting the "server). They'll have 2-3 of them running in the car sharing the Verizon card all the way up. The kids do homework, check email, etc. I thought it would be hilarious to drive behind him and use his hotspot in my car, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet. Gotta love having a 70mph WiFi Hotspot though! When they get to Tahoe they transfer all the hardware into the cabin (minus the inverter).

LOL... that's a great story, Randy! I actually bought a cheap directional cantenna and ziptied it to a tree in front of my house. Now, I can surf my WiFi signal two blocks down the street at the local bakery. People see me surfing and ask me if the bakery has wireless access. I just smile and say, "No, I just found a network somewhere around here." :)

Scott

Being the cyberly challenged one that I am, I'm amazed at what you are doing right now. For the benefit of us poor folks that won't arrive until Friday night, perhaps you can see fit to post up your impressions of the runs after you've had the chance to ride tomorrow. Have a blast and drive carefully.

Miguel