Note to New Members ×

question about plates

Guest alakata

You can certainly use hardboots and plates on non-alpine boards. I used plates on a 158 and 167 Ride timeless and I was able to carve very well with that setup. There is a chance that you will overpower the board and fold the nose if you really push it though.

Guest alakata

thanks, the ride mountain that i use is very similar to the timeless in the fact that it is very stiff. i can carve that really hard with softboots, but ever since i tried an alpine i dont want to go back.

Guest alakata

yeah i know. Demo'd a volkl 163 renntiger last weekend and when i went back to my softboots i really sucked. thus ending my life as a softbooter:)

by the way what is piste?

I occasionally ride plates and hard boots on a freeride board, at almost-ordinary soft-booting angles (40f/20r). It works great, especially when the boots have very soft forward flex, which is easy enough to do with most Raichle/Deeluxe boots by using the "powder" mode.

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by alakata

by the way what is piste?

Piste is the French word for trail. Usually refers to groomed trail, but at a minimum its a marked trail. Hors-Piste means off-piste or off the trail (ungroomed).

My signature is just a play on the word and its American and English meanings. In America pissed means upset. In England it means drunk. In carving piste is where we mostly hang out. It just seemed like an apt triple-entendre.

:cool:

The Volkl RT163 is a fun board. It can kind of do everything. Its remarkably stable at high speed, despite being short (by my definition - see my quiver list). I bet you'd really love a Donek Axis or other carving focused AM board.