Note to New Members ×

OT: Anybody want a Gmail account?

SWriverstone

Excuse the off-topic post, but if anybody wants a Gmail account (Google Mail), email me and I'll send you an invite (I've got piles of them). I think it's still the only way you can get one.

Why Gmail? The biggest difference (that I can see) is how Gmail only displays messages in threaded format, so "conversations" stay together (including the messages you sent). Took some getting used to, but I'm really liking it now. You can also use labels (like folders), flag messages, address book, etc. 1GB storage space too (for free).

I've used it for months and it seems rock-solid and reliable. (No, I'm not associated w/Google nor receive kickbacks of any sort---just had all these "Invite a friend to Gmail!" notices and figured I'd pass it on!)

Here's more detail if you're interested...

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html#signup

Scott

Yes, I thought that was spooky too...but the same is true of any other email we send and receive from anywhere. Google is no more or less scary than anything else on the Internet.

Check out this excellent article by Tim O'Reilly (who publishes all the good computer books with animals on the covers)...

The Fuss About Gmail and Privacy: Nine Reasons Why It's Bogus

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4707

Scott

(Don't worry---I know it's a carving forum---enough said! :)

I have tons of invite also. I don't use the gmail web interface, I prefer to use Mozilla Thunderbird with POP and SMTP. And if I remeber correctly (the gmail web server seems to be down now), I think you can permanently delete emails now. I'd have to go back and check.

Any way, if you need something really private, would you be using a free email account anyway? If I want real privacy, I use my own mail server and use encrypted email. Or plain old paper!