Note to New Members ×

Comin to Ideeeho (SV) 2-28/3-10

Art

Im bringin the family to spend our hard earned cash in your tourist mecca. Would like to try to ride with anybody. Iwill have access to a computer and post the days I can ride as the day draws near. We will be in town on saturday night, I will probably try to ride on monday3-1 but not for sure. I will get at least 3 days on baldy, but I need to post a disclaimer that my board legs are weak as there is no snow here, so Ill be playing katsup.

A note on Sun Valley. Carving there can be dangerous. For whatever reason turning is un-cool there so the skiers are skiing fast and straight down the hill. Getting hit from behind as you are carving out of the fall line is always a risk. Twice I was mowed down from behind. I had looked up the hill and it was clear for 100 yards+. I took off, made about 4 turns and slam. Both times I was hit by one of the MANY local downhill racer wannabes.

I agree with your point that people travel at higher speeds and a potential collision could be more serious. But I think overall locals are familiar with carving and the way carvers move combined with smaller crowds and lots of space. Maybe one should be weary when the tourons invade during peak holidays like Xmas, MLK and Presidents day weekend.

I logged more than 600 days in 5 seasons of carving at SV and never had a collison. In Jersey in 10 days on the mountain I have been hit twice. Bad luck? Maybe. I hope you were not injured.

Those dang tourons;) . Never had a collision there in many days on the hill. Some of my local friends are some of the fastest skiers I have seen and they are always in control. I think it's all situational, Im very aware at the bottom of WS and RR at the end of the day, and pay close attention to conditions. I agree that some of the visitors may be a little O/C as it is a big hill and the altitude can take it out of you if your not used to it. We ride there every year and never have a problem. Looking forward to riding with a few of you locals. Hey since my dad was born and raised in Challis do I get local status too?:D

Guest jeremiah

Art--Challis? Damn, I thought I was the only person who had ever heard of that town. Lived there for 4 years, but was too young and poor to afford Sun Valley so would go to Lost Trail instead.

The really sad thing is that my mom grew up in Shoshone with comp passes to Sun Valley (Gramps was the town doc and worked a deal with UP when they owned SV) and I've only done a handful of days there. My next Idaho winter trip will definately include a couple days at Sun Valley, now that I'm able to enjoy it for all that it is--nothing like years of paying $60+ for tickets in Vermont to take the sting out of a SV ticket.

Jeremiah

My Grandfather was a homesteader there. He eventually owned the bank building in town with the only vault. The banks had to come to him to open a financial institution. Eventually he was pretty influential in Idaho politics but that was way before my time. I love it there and someday my dad and my boys will go over for the grand tour, now that I can actually remember it. Beautiful country that Salmon River area!

Guest jeremiah

Speaking of Idaho, have any of you potatoheads ridden Tamarack yet? My parents and my brother got free tickets (still available I think, check the website) and skied it yesterday. All three had the same comment, "Wow, what a mountain." Snow isn't any better there than at Brundage, but I guess it's 2800' of constant vertical. It's certainly on my list of resorts to hit next season.

Jeremiah

proudy sporting a 'Ski the Great Potato' t-shirt

I hit the jackpot at Atkinsons today: PBR Longnecks, 18 of em for 10.99. If I dont drink em all, Ill be on the hill in the AM Seattle ridge till 10:30 or so then over to Warm Springs. This is truly gods country, burrrrp...........