Note to New Members ×

Burton's new 2x inserts

Linus

I've just saw a brand new UnInc with 2x inserts in them.....is this for real?

Also Burton site stated that

If 3 screws are better than 4, then 2 are better than 3, right?

I've never like Burton's 3D pattern...what do you think?....is 2x inserts really better?

Guest Mike Ford

seems to ride nice enough from my experience......as for how long it'll last, only time will tell.

Can't wait to see how the kid who have enough trouble keeping two screws out of their four tight deal with it.

MF

ya know whats a trip, teh six paragraph board description is all about how the topsheet graphics were created! to paraphrase:

"this stylish lunchtray will have the snow-betty's chekin' yo sh*t out as you mainline down the crowded slopes at yer local molehill"

i shoulda been a freestyle manufacturer. :) or topsheet designer.

-chris

I posted this prototype pic last April, and as Frappe said, everyone thought that it was an April Fool's joke. I would say that the joke is on you guys, but I think that the joke may be on whoever buys this thing. At least it is limited to the UnInc. This prototype is a Custom.

Then again, who knows. Maybe there is some merit to this. Being a big guy, I won't try it until it is thrash tested and comes up proven to last.

Any innovation is scoffed at when it first comes out. Five years from now we may find Fin manufacturing 2X plates for the TD3's.;)

post-175-141842202558_thumb.jpg

I wonder if the 2x hole is an attempt to:

A) eliminate the flat spot under one's foot/feet when carving a turn (less inserts to bind the board while flexing)

b) to allow a more natural flex of the board due to less inserts

c) to allow better edge hold as the board: hug the terrain better as the holes are down the midpoint of the board, further from the edge, more natural tortional twisting of the board with this pattern?

Those have gotta be some real strong inserts though,even if they are on a freestyle/freeride board and not a carving board.

Here is the story from the B website:

"Back in 2000 I read an email from Rider Services about a customer that asked what the advantages of 3D® over 4x4 were. The reason we use (and legally protect) 3D® is that it gives us a weight advantage - we can get more stance options with fewer inserts than any other pattern on the market...less inserts equals less weight. After pondering this, I showed our board design engineer how we could get a larger stance range with smaller stance increments and less inserts by rotating the insert patterns 60 degrees.

It turns out that when 3D® was first developed, the design team had a similar idea, but canned it because the holes for the toe-heel adjustment were too close to the edge of the disc and therefore not up to our strength standards. But we persevered, pushing it even further we eliminated an insert all together. If 3 screws are better than 4, then 2 are better than 3, right? The board team laid out the straight-line insert pattern and found that they could get 1/2" stance increments (instead of 1" in 3D®). But there still wasn't any way to mount the damn binding to it.

After developing a disc that passed both the Baseplate Spin test and the ISO Static Bend test, feedback from early on-snow prototypes said there was some "wobble". After many different designs, countless hours on snow, and several local beverages we eventually eliminated the wobble. Used and abused by our UnInc team, 2X is now available on our entire 05 UnInc board line. And the saga isn't over. We are continually testing and re-testing, collaborating with our board, binding, and boot teams to create products that change the way we ride."