Note to New Members ×

Base Buldge?????

Mellow Yellow

not that I have any personal practical experience, but I'm trying to decide which tuning gear to buy right now and in the course of my research I came along teh following info on the Carver's Almanch site (http://www.alpinecarving.com) that sounded like your problem:

If you wax with an iron that is too hot, air underneath the P-Tex can expand and cause a bubble to form. You will also notice a discoloration caused by the air bubble. To fix it, drill two small holes, each on opposite ends of the bubble. Place a pool of epoxy over one hole, and suck it through the bubble using a syringe in the other hole. Then clamp the board overnight. Then you will need a base grind

Maybe this helps:)

That made me openly laugh which I needed. Been hobbling around all afternoon and evening, all ginked up from catching a toeside edge while sideslipping towards a crowded liftline area. It was like being on the end of a fly swatter. brunt of the impact was on my head and right hip pointer. Knocked the wind out of me as well.

Anyway, I hope you find the reason for your boob or goiter. My board started delaminating last week and I'm looking for a cure.

Later

Greg

Ditto on the base overheating , I did it to my pow stick (nitro fury 176). I think the problem is that the metal inserts under the base heat up more than the woodcore and get hot enough to locally delam the the board.

So dont over-iron your wax in by the inserts or this will happen. Not much a problem anymore now that I use the crayon method.

Jim

My Donek incline did exactly that after ONE ride on it with soft boot bindings on it. To this date it has never been waxed or tuned.

I contacted Sean about it and he said I probably used too long screws on my bindings or overtightened. However, in a test in his shop he tried to screw a binding screw right through the bottom of an insert with a power tool but all it did was snap off the screw once it hit the bottom of the insert body itself.

I thought it remotely possible that a "too long screw" could bottom (or bottom on snow packing) and stick up enough such that a stomping boot (while riding) could eventually cause the individual insert to push out the base like that. I also that it thoroughly impossible that the 53 year old hands of a computer programmer, using a stubby screwdriver slopeside, could find the strength to twist a screw through the base of a board --- even if it were a 6 inch long screw for that matter.

So, I took Sean's advice and figured it was a lot about nothing. That it would go away with the first base grind and never effect the riding of the board. I too, figured I had a lot more important things to worry about in my life (like rocks) and just put it out of my mind. And just for the record, I never asked for a refund/return on the board from Sean. And to this date the board rides fine and has not gotten worse. I know this is not much help but it is a good example of the exact condition that is in Baka's picture occurring before any heat was applied to the board.

sic