Note to New Members ×

speed snowboarding

philw

You running studded tires for that event?

Sounds like it would be pretty darn fun.

Stopping though, that has to really suck on the bike in the snow, especially if they don't give you enough space.

What you need is a studded up cyclocross bike for that even, assuming you can keep it going straight.

We pre-drill holes in the nobbies, in a pattern that is relatively symmetrical and seems like it makes sense, then turn the tire inside out and shoot sheet metal screws in each hole. Finish with a layer of duct tape to help avoid abrasion. I switched to the thick "thorn resistant" tubes after getting a flat in my first race.

Changing tires becomes a little tricky with the sharp screws sticking out all over the place, so a thick pair of leather gloves comes in handy.

And yes, they don't give you much space to stop at the Hunter event. I ended up sliding under the burlap after my last run because I was tired of untangling myself from the orange fences. Bent a chainring while going through a piece of bamboo in the process. Such is life when you have to make up for lack of skill with a little extra chustpa.

(just for completion..)

Tried to find a clause in the FIS rule book regulating the use of releasable bindings but did not locate any references.

Had lunch with the FIS sec today and the original information is correct...

The FIS don't have a rulebook for speed boarding available on their site because it's not an official FIS sport. They do of course have the rule book for speed skiing there. The author of both rule books is the same guy who told me about this. He assured me again that use of releasable bindings are mandatory in his rule book for speed snowboarding, if you see what I mean.

Obviously you could have non-FIS controlled races using anything you like.