Note to New Members ×

a BAD rider blames..........

rikytheripster

I assume their are limits to how low you can carve, with many factors making these limits up, ie technigue, your board, snow conditions, speed, tuning, etc

(NB am 185lbs riding prior wcr 185 mostly, catek wcr)

MY question is how do you know when you have got to the limit in the conditions your riding in?

BY limit i mean the ability for your board to carve completely, GS style without any skid,getting as low as possoble.

In soft, mash potato snow it seems its harder to get your edge to bite and avoid skid, chatter or slip out, that makes sense. However how do you know if its your technique thats letting you down or just the snow conditions?By letting you down i mean not carving completely, skidding out. IS there a limit to how low you can go on the soft or will your technique overcome this if its good enough? On cord the grip seems immense and i feel that for the same speed, and inclination you can get away with using worse tech than on soft snow(with same inc and speed). All due to the increase in grip on cord. IS this right? Ice seems to be in the same category as soft snow, ie it is harder to carve on than groom.

Any thoughts appreciated

Well, if you are as low as possible, then you're at the limit. Otherwise, you wouldn't be as low as possible.

If you are carving GS turns, you're not trying to get low. If you are trying to get low, you're not carving GS turns.

Now, how do you know when you've reached your limit? When the edge comes out from under you, you've gone too far. If you fall, then there is a problem with your technique. If you don't, then we really can't say if the snow just can't hold you or if you're doing something wrong without seeing you in action.

Yes, there is a limit to what the snow can handle, but without being there it is hard to say if you're hitting it.

If you are getting chatter, that is a problem with technique.

or at least in my humble and totally unqualified opinion :) . I think I understand what you're trying to ask ripster, I've thought about the same thing too, it's just hard to put into words. I think we have to be able to make adjustments when the conditions change and tailor our riding to best meet those conditions. I find I have to back off a bit in softer snow, especially on my heelsides over which I have less control, in order to not make mistakes and fall or feel like I'm not carving 100%. On my toesides I'm more in control, therefore I'm able to overcome a mistake or adjust quicker when the conditions dictate a change. Mirror's got a point about not being able to tell if we can't actually see you, but I know that I feel the same way on soft snow or icy conditions and usually attribute it to my lack of skill or experience. I just flat think I need to ride more and get better at what it is I'm trying to do.

Paul

Originally posted by rikytheripster

MY question is how do you know when you have got to the limit in the conditions your riding in?

In an ideal world you'd look to see how the other riders on the hill are handling conditions. Your question indicates that where you ride there are no carvers better than yourself, which is probably a pretty common situation due to the low number of carvers.

On the rare occasion that I see a hardbooter riding better than me, I always get a sense of having my horizons expanded (as well as my ego bruised). It's hard to know how good you can be until you actually see somebody else being that good.

Re snow hardness and edge grip - I reckon that firm, chalky cord can hold the most amount of pressure, ice and slush require precise technique not to skid out, and soft cord is the easiest and most forgiving, even though it can't hold as much pressure as firmer cord.