Note to New Members ×

Racing opportunities for old folks?

SWriverstone

I'm new to snowboarding and carving but have racing in my blood (from many years racing at the highest level in whitewater slalom...many moons ago...)

Back in the 80s, there were many opportunities for "retired" racers, older folks, and just casual paddlers to do "citizen slalom races" on courses that weren't Olympic-level-difficult. Unfortunately, when whitewater re-entered the Olympics in 1992, the overall health of the sport (in the US) began to go downhill and is still in decline today (to the point of near-extinction).

This happened because the US Canoe & Kayak Team stopped supporting low-level races in favor of increased training for promising kids and having fewer, higher-profile races with bigtime corporate sponsorship, etc. In other words, the focus became almost exclusively on "producing Olympians." I've got nothing against that...but it's ultimately hurt the sport more than helped by all but wiping out that person called "the casual, just-for-fun racer."

In my case, this all sucked because I eventually had to quit racing (even though I was once ranked 8th in the US) because the only races left to go to were killer races---the kind of races you must be in serious tip-top shape to even survive! This wasn't an option for me since I stopped training every day, year-round.

So...where I'm headed with all this is...what's the scene like in snowboarding? Are there lots of "casual, just-for-fun" slalom and GS races? Could "old-timers" like me get into it? Or is it like whitewater, where if you go to a race you'll be forced to get annihilated by Olympic-level racers hell-bent on speed and glory?

In whitewater paddling, there quite literally is no better way to improve your technique and general river-running and playboating abilities than to train in gates. Racing gave me far superior technique than non-racers have---which I'll have the rest of my life---even if I don't have the awesome conditioning. I'm sure the same is true in snowboarding. I'm not saying you suck if you don't race---just that I can't imagine racing not making you a much better carver/snowboarder in general. (I remember 5-time world champion Jon Lugbill saying to me, "There are techniques for going slow, and techniques for going fast. You have to learn the ones for going fast." :)

If I seem a bit sour about the whitewater thing, it's because I've always been amazed that---in some sports---people just don't understand that a larger popular participant base = more public awareness and support, more opportunities, and a side effect is more great Olympic-level athletes. I just don't buy the "let's put all our eggs in one basket" approach. The current system is often like "trickle-down economics:" let's "engineer" a few awesome racers, let them win Olympic gold, and then suddenly everyone will want to get into it! NOT. In whitewater, the Olympics killed the sport in the US. My opinion only, and only applies directly to whitewater racing, which I know very well. :) I'm interested in hearing comparisons/contrasts with snowboarding!

Scott

USASA supports grass roots snowbaording, and has age levels all the way into the 60's and even 70+ or something like that...

The nearest race for you living in West Virginia is probably the Mid Atlantic Snowboard Series, which will be held March 5th and March 6th at Ski Roundtop, PA.

That is my home mountain, and we work very well with the MASS staff to have super well organized races.

Come on out and try it!

The first time I ever raced was in the Mid Atlantic Series in 1992, I think, at Ski Liberty. It was cool.... I got a little trophy with a surfer on it! I wasn't that great, but there were only 3 women entered so I still got a trophy!!! Hahahahaaa...

I seem to remember in that race (or some other one around that time) grabbing on to some gates so I could make the turn. Today that would probably disqualify me, but back then I guess it didn't matter too much. Now I can make the turns without having to cheat!

I also did a NASTAR race on my snowboard when I went to Colorado with my dad several years back. I got a silver medal in that one!

Kathy

Hey Neil.... was that the race that was sponsored by Mistral? Didn't they give out T-Shirts that said "Kick Button" to look like the Burton Logo? I still have a couple of those T-shirts floating around. Does Mistral even make snowboards anymore? I also had a T-shirt that had some logo for the Mid Atlantic Snowboard Series, but I think that one got worn out and thrown away. I also have an old T-Shirt from Funtastick.... Is that store still in exsistance? I was in Harrisburg visiting family last Thanksgiving, but I didn't get much of a chance to get out while I was there!

Kathy

Scott, I think a lot has changed since I did any of those races. Heck, I think I even got stuck judging a half pipe competition once! I got drafted to do it because I was one of the few instructors there that had no plans to enter it! I had no idea what I was doing, but it was fun!

Kathy

Most racers in USASA in the upper age classes are more in for the fun. Guys and girls who are more serious about racing you usually find in the lower age classes or in the open class.

...after all most of us have to go back to work on Monday.

Hagen.