Note to New Members ×

Coiler...a RC Review

Gecko

OK I've had all the days out of this season I'm gonna get, 5, which is 4 more than I expected after the Tsunami and I promised a my opinions of this Coiler 175RC that I was lucky to pick from Bobby Buggs. Before this year I had thought that I knew what I was doing, I've been riding an old Flite asym that I still love but this board showed me that I have a lot to learn. A first flexxing told me that the Rc was softer than my Flite, another thing I noticed was that the stance was more centered/set back than I was used to. That alone told me that things were gonna be a lot different. I moved my Cateks over and waited for Snow...that alone was un-nerving but it finally fell...first two days I thrashed about coming to grips with the added length and an older body. My third day I had 3 feet of powder and no powder board. The RC was interesting...it floated quite well actually. I had a a good day though 3 feet was probably more than it is really good in...East Coast powder (ho ho) will likely be no problem at all...days 4&5 gave a real look at what this board can do and Happo One was a perfect place to stretch its legs. Finally I had Groomed slopes and a good base to ride. I had some set up issues with my bindings but that was easilly worked out and then I was off. On the Cord I was able to really lay into the board...I had to shift further forward than I was used to but it rewarded me with more control than I was used to and a nose that didn't fold up unlike my Flite. Crud was where I was most surprised...the nose tracked over crap that I was certain was gonna put me out of it...hell I was even able to bull my way through baby mogul slopes. The thing that really took me time to figure out was the operating speed...you know that speed where the board works...I haven't found the top end yet but my issue was actually the how slow could I go and still get it to turn. I carved myself onto my a$$ more than a few times before I figured out the right speed from that point on I was golden...well probably more like tarnished brass but it felt good. The thing that surprised me was the way I could accelerate from carve to carve rather than chattering/skipping like I used to. I know I have to grow as a rider and this board will give me years of growth. I am in love with my Coiler