Note to New Members ×

Burton Performer Fastex Bindings

Buford67

The board I learned to ride on was a Performer 140 with fastex bindings. 84 I am guessing. The board was given to me and has sentimental value. It was stored in my attic for the last couple of years and the changing climate has taken its toll. The bindings shattered and the board became delaminated.  I am looking to replace the bindings and have the base fixed. Will Burton fix this for me? Just trying to see if anyone can add some insight.

• 2 weeks later...

Buford, those binding all were prone to petroleum-eating molds, and they'd just crumble from that or too much direct sunlight. I lost three sets that way, plus '87.'88 and '91 Burton 3-straps, all in boxes, in my old barn. So, your chances of getting the ankle-breaker two-piece red plastic Burton bindings are slim. If you're looking to ride it, I would be very careful of these, even if they're whole and intact. If you do find them, use them for 'display' or collector reasons.

However, I do have a pair of ZIP aluminum baseplates (direct rip-off of a Grell/Sims binding) that had holes that, while not having much angle range, could mount to an '85/86 Performer Elite. These have straps/highbacks currently, but I think I could build them out of my parts-bin. The issue, as I recall (what, from 25 years ago?) was with the rear binding, as these are flat, un-bendable bases, and the deck of board is concaved deeply.  I think we'd stuff pipe-insulation foam under the back binding to keep it from splitting the tail apart (of course, we were airborne often; the Performer was a great kicker-launch board in the day). I will see if any of the other old 5-hole bindings I have might fit that year of Performer, as the hole-set was close to 200mm across (on the diagonal) that the Burton/Elfgen hole pattern used into the early 90's.

Good Hunting!  

PSR

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the Zip bases... I've no highbacks that fit anymore, and I'd have to find straps (I have straps a-plenty, but they're in boxes, in storage, somewhere). The baseplates do fit the old Burton 5-hole, but not perfectly. Sorry, I wish I had the 'fix' at hand... If you're interested in the above parts/pieces, reply whenever; I'm in no hurry with this stuff, it's been around since the day...