Note to New Members ×

Making binding plates, catek kingpin

rikytheripster

There are two sizes, check the Catek website for details. The critical dimension would be the hemispherical shape for the kingpin retainer nut, it would have to be the right radius and depth to work properly. Everything else is just a regular CNC program. Of course, the cost of programming would buy you about 5 pairs of bindings.......................

Being a student i have not got much money so i thougth i might be able to get them made up, a cnc program would be more costly as you stated i was just thinking if a simplified version would work, ie just a disc of the same aluminium with the insert holes and kingpin thread in. I take it there is more too their geometry for a reason?

The catek 2nd bord kit is for olympic longs, mine are wcr longs arent the kingpins a different size? i thought they were. Maybe I could mail catek to see if they could still get hold of some for me?

Have posted in classifieds but no replies.

If you check the Catek site, you'll see from the parts listing that the WC and the early Olympics were 12mm kingpins. The newer Olympics are now 10mm kingpins. The old 12mm base plates can be used with the new 10mm tops with the adapter kit that is sold on the website. But nowhere on the website do I see 12mm base plates, and that's what you'd need for a second board kit. I'll bet Jeff has some around, but they are probably the same price as the second board kit shown on the site. Not cheap. If you're definitely going for the second board, it's probably easier to find another pair of bindings used. Sure you could make base plates, maybe the guys could do it on their lunch breaks or something.

Sure it 'can' be done, but is it really cost effective? If it's an Aoerospace Shop, and you know someone that can do it as a

'G-job', or on their own time, maybe you can "Get-er-Done", for a lesser price.

Believe it, not many are as 'frugal' as me. I have the necessary resources to do them, but the cost of materials (aluminum for the discs. & stainless for the pins) plus my time, I would spend to end up with a piece that still lacks a cnc quality finish like Jeff's (annodizing and stamping) I would be better off working some OT and buying the kit from Jeff.

And YES, their is a lot more to them than meets the casual eye. Both the Cateks and the Bombers, have obviously gone through some 'serious engineering' and they Show It !!

Really NICE to have this type of "QUALITY PIECES" available !!

EXCELLENT JOB, by both Manufacturers .

Good Luck------jp1