Note to New Members ×

Carving story - the online interview

Guest The Snowboard Journalist

Originally posted by The Snowboard Journalist

QUESTION #4

Q#4: WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THE IDEA THAT CARVERS ARE AN ENDANGERED SPECIES?

Q#5: WHAT'S THE WORST THING ABOUT BEING A CARVER?

4: ask that to mike olson of Mervin MFG. In my heart, Ill always see him as a surfer/carver. Endangered's not a word i'd pick. Rare's the word I'd pick.

5: lack of the marketing and companies shying away from carving equipments.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4) you don't think about what's cool when you're having fun

Q5) N/A

also agree with skywalker on Q4 of course softboot equipment can be carved it's just not worth mentioning :)

no offense I just think that if someone wants to be a snowboarder because of carving then any softboot setup is a waste of money and time because alpine setups make it easier to get into carving and advanced freecarving is impossible in softboots ...

so I think that anyone who wants to carve will have more fun with alpine gear that's all I'm saying :)

Q1 About ten years ago a fellow surfer met me at the mountain on plates. All it took was to see one turn and I had to do the equivalent of surfing a BA bottom turn. The next week he shattered his leg after a binding released.

Q2 It always seems limiting...until I carve. But then I carry two pairs of boots and three boards at all times.

Q3 More mid-day grooming. Lifties have already stopped asking to see our passes.

Q4 While riding up to the first couple runs I see skiers skidding and softbooters sliding. I'd say about 20% are carving or trying to carve by lunchtime. The numbers are higher when my friends are there. We are converting them one carve at a time.

Q5 The worst thing about carving is that I have to choose between big winter waves and awesome mid-week corduroy. It used to be easy with stormy waves and deep pow to choose between. Oh, watching my carver friends recovering from shattering the lower leg after a binding release.

Guest The Snowboard Journalist

Thanks to everyone who took the time to get involved in our piece. You can look forward to seeing what comes of it in issue #006, out mid-March.

Have a great season! -jason